Chapter 63 ~ Who believes in good causes good.....

Victoria's Pov.

"It doesn't matter!"  shrieked Voldemort, who had been listening to each word with rapt attention but now let out a cackle of insane laughter.  "It doesn't matter if Snape was my husband or Dumbledore's, or what little obstacles they tried to put in my way!  I crushed her like I crushed your mother, Snape's supposed love!  Oh, but it all fits together, Potter, and in a way you don't understand!  Dumbledore was trying to prevent me from obtaining the Elder Wand!  But I got there before you, little boy.  I was on the wand before you could get your hands on it, I got the truth before you were ready.  I have killed Severus Snape and the Elder Wand, the Death Wand, the Wand of Destiny is truly mine!  Dumbledore's last plan failed, Harry Potter!" the Dark Lord said confidently, still aiming the Elder Wand at Potter's chest.
"Yeah, indeed," said Harry.  "You're right.  But before you try to kill me, I would advise you to think about what you've done... think, and try to have some regrets, Riddle...."
"What do you mean?" the Dark Lord snapped.
Nothing Potter had said to him, no revelation and no mockery, had shocked Voldemort as badly as this.
I saw his pupils narrow to slits, saw the skin around his eyes whiten.  "This is your last chance," said the chosen one, "this is all you have left... I've seen what you'll be otherwise... be a man... try... try a little  to regret...”

"You dare -?" Voldemort said again.
"Yes, I dare," Potter replied.  "because Dumbledore's last plan backfired, but not against me.  It's against you, Riddle."  The Elder Wand trembled in Voldemort's hand and the chosen one gripped Draco's wand tightly.
The moment was only seconds away.
"That wand still doesn't work properly for you because you murdered the wrong guy.  Severus Snape was never the true master of the Elder Wand.  He never defeated Dumbledore.
"He killed -"
"Aren't you listening?  Snape never beat Dumbledore!  They arranged Dumbledore's death among themselves!  Dumbledore intended to die undefeated as the last true Lord of the Elder Wand!  If everything had gone as planned, the wand's power would have gone with him because it was never wrested from him!"
"But then, Potter, Dumbledore as good as gave me the wand!" Voldemort's voice trembled with malicious amusement.
"I stole the wand from its last master's grave!  I took it against the wishes of its last master!
His power is mine!"
"You still don't get it, Riddle, do you?  Just owning the magic wand is not enough!
Holding it, using it, doesn't really make it your own.
Weren't you listening to Ollivander?  The wand finds the wizard... the Elder Wand recognized a new master before Dumbledore died, someone he had never even touched.
The new master took the wand from Dumbledore against his will, and he never realized what he had actually done, nor that the most dangerous wand in the world had submitted to him." Voldemort's chest heaved rapidly.
I could almost feel the curse coming, could feel it building in the Dark Lord's wand pointed at Potter's face.
"The true master of the Elder Wand was Draco Malfoy!" As these words passed the chosen one's lips, I felt a sudden handshake.
Draco grabbed my hand.
His breathing was irregular and hectic.
He stared spellbound at the Gryffindor and waited to speak again.

Blank horror crossed Voldemort's face for a moment, but then it was gone.  "But what does it matter?" he said softly.
"Even if you're right, Potter, nothing changes for you and me.  You no longer have the phoenix staff.  So in our duel here, it's only our skills that count.... and once I've killed you, I can deal with Draco Malfoy-"
"But you're going to be late!" Potter interrupted.
"You missed your chance.  I got there first  I overpowered Draco weeks ago.  I took that wand from him!"
The chosen one gave a quick flick of the hawthorn wand and all eyes in the hall rested on him.
"So it's just one question left, isn't it?" whispered the boy who survived.  "Does the wand in your hand know that its last master has been disarmed?  Because if he knows...then I am the true master of the Elder Wand...”
A red-gold ember suddenly spilled over everyone present as the rim of the blazing sun peeped the sill of the window.
The light hit my face so I put my hand in front of my eyes.
The faces of the two people moving in a circle were also illuminated.
Voldemort's face was suddenly a flaming spot.
I heard the high-pitched voice screeching as the chosen one also aimed Draco's wand.
"Avada Kedavra!"
"Expelliarmus!"
The bang was like a cannon bang, and the golden flames that erupted between the two dueling in the empty center of the circle they had trod marked the spot where the spells met.
I saw Voldemort's green beam meet Potter's spell, saw the Elder Wand fly up, dark against the sunrise, saw it tumble across the ceiling like the head of Nagini, spinning through the air towards its master, whom it would not kill  and who had come to possess him at last.
The chosen one caught the wand in his free hand with the unfailing assurance of the Gryffindor Seeker, while Voldemort fell backward, arms outstretched, the slit-like pupils of his red eyes turning upward.
The dark lord hit the ground with banal finality, body weak and shriveled, hands empty and white, serpentine face expressionless and ignorant.
Voldemort was dead, killed by his own rebounding curse.
I looked in disbelief at the chosen one, who stood with two wands in hand and stared at his dead enemy's shell.
For a shaky second there was silence, the terror of that moment hanging in the balance.
Then tumult broke out.
The screams, cheers and roars of the spectators pierced the air.
The blazing new sun lit the windows.
"It's over!" I cried out in happiness and relief, jumping into the Ice Prince's arms.
He threw me through the air and laughed happily.
When he put me down again, I pulled him down to me and kissed him deeply.
It was over...
Voldemort was dead!
The good had triumphed......!