Chapter 17 ~ When the Night is Silent ...

Victorias Pov.

With slow steps I walked along the gravel path to Malfoy Manor and stopped right in front of the entrance gate, which then opened by itself.
I walked through and was met by some Death Eater.
When the Death Eater ushered me into the villa, I noticed a musty smell of blood, dirt and death and I knew which Death Eater it was, namely Fenrir Greyback, the most feared werewolf there was.
Fenrir Greyback, who is not afraid of murdering someone and having fun doing it.
When I got to the entrance, Greyback disappeared and left me alone.
I stayed right in front of the door that leads to the hall where the meetings are being held, looked to the right at the clock which was exactly 20:00, straightened my shoulders and entered the hall without knocking, as the dark lord was already waiting.
"Very good, on time to the second."
hissed the dark lord, rising from his seat.
He came up to me with terrifying strides and stopped only about three feet away from me.
“You are probably wondering why I called you to me, now I can answer that for you.
I want you to join one of my loyal followers tonight!
What exactly you have to do, Evan Rosier will explain to you soon enough and now go and woe you are not doing your job for tonight with bravery. "
I gave a nod and took long strides out of the room.
Evan Rosier was already waiting for me in the entrance area.
We went out and without any warning he apparated side by side with me and came to a stop with me in a small Muggle village.
He turned in my direction and asked with his eyes already beaming with joy, "So, which house do you like best, choose one."
I didn't know what that was about and just did what he said and pointed to a white single-family house with a garden.
Evan Rosier walked towards the house with a cheeky grin.
I followed him with a bad feeling in my stomach.
He opened the garden gate and walked carefully towards the front door.
I let my gaze wander through the garden and discovered two children's bicycles, which, judging by the color, meant that the family had two children, an older boy and a smaller girl, as the blue and black bike was a lot bigger than the little one in pink, which must then belong to the girl.
Evan Rosier opened the front door with 'Allohomora' and entered the two-story house.
The house was tidy and the walls were decorated with many pictures of the family.
From one of the back rooms, I guess it was the living room, voices speaking confusedly came and through the open door a TV flickered brightly into the hallway.
Evan Rosier looked around the corner, pulled out his wand, and walked into the family's living room with his wand held high.
He shouted "Petrificus Totalus", a bright beam hit something or someone and thus additionally lit the spacious living room of the family of four.
I now dared to enter the room myself and saw that a woman around 30 and a man around 35 were sitting together on a sofa and were watching the scene with fearful eyes.
Evan Rosier pointed his staff at the woman and shouted "Crucio", a red curse hit the woman in the middle of the chest, who began to scream in agony less than a second later.
The man looked at her awkwardly and fought back tears.
Without letting go of the woman, Evan Rosier turned in my direction and said over the screams “Go upstairs and take care of the children, kill them and woe betide you contradict my orders, otherwise there will be serious consequences for you and now up  with you."
Frozen with shock, I somehow made it towards the door, but turned around again and had to watch the woman with the killing curse being killed.
She collapsed, every single muscle weakened, and life was erased from her eyes.
And at the same time Evan Rosier began to torture the now crying husband ...

With slow steps I went up the stairs, which creaked with every step and was looking for the children's rooms.
I took out my wand and walked down the long hallway.
Killing a person, killing a child ...
My job today was to kill people.
Helpless, innocent children ....
I went straight to a white door with posters of cars, which probably led into the boy's room.
I stopped in front of the door, put my free hand on the door handle, took another deep breath and opened the children's room door.
What I saw broke my heart.
The boy, probably not older than 8, was holding his 6 year old sister in his arms, who was crying uncontrollably.
Both stood in the corner of the room, holding each other's arms, and they didn't stop sobbing.
I pointed my wand at both of them and said softly, "Avada Kedavra," whereupon both children went lifeless to the ground.
Without thinking about it, I turned and left the room.
With a trembling body I made my way to the stairs, which led back to the lower part of the house, but then suddenly I heard faint screaming and crying.
I followed the shouting and came to another door, when I opened it I realized that it had to be the parents' bedroom and there was a small cradle next to the bed.
From the cradle came a low scream that belonged to a baby just a few weeks old.
I couldn't..
I sat on the bed and fought back tears.
I had to kill it or I would be killed.
I got up and stood directly in front of the cradle and held my wand at the infant.
I closed my eyes and killed the  baby as well.
A cold void filled my whole body.  Every single fiber froze to ice and made me pause for a moment.
A single tear ran down my cheek, which I wiped away with the back of my hand.

Staggering and trembling, I went down the stairs, walked down the hall towards the front door, where I was already met by a stupidly grinning Evan Rosier.
Without paying any more attention to him, I stepped out the front door, crossed the garden, and apparated to Hogwarts without further ado.

In the Slytherin common room, I sat on one of the couches and stared into the flames of the fireplace.
I killed three people today, two children and a baby died at my hand.
I decided not to go to my dorm, because after the night I wouldn't get an eye closed anyway.

I committed three murders tonight.  Was that the first and last or was this night just the beginning ...?