Chapter 43 ~ Less words, more deeds

Victoria's Pov.

There has been radio silence between the Ice Prince and me for weeks.
I had tried to talk to him several times, to explain everything to him, but he blocked me every time.
It was hair-pulling.
I didn't want him to hate me.
Still, I could understand him.
I wouldn't want anything to do with myself either.
"Now hold your breath." I heard the Malfoy's servant take another deep breath as she tightened the laces on my back.
My torso kept rocking back and forth as she tightened the corset.
I exhaled and felt the enormous pressure on my chest.
It was damn hard for me to breathe.
It felt like someone was crushing my lungs with their bare hands.
"That's it and done.  I'll leave you alone, Miss Lestrange." The small woman said in a high and trembling voice.
I knew she didn't do this willingly and lived in fear every day.
With a dull noise the door closed from the outside and now an oppressive silence descended on the room.
I stopped and rested my palms on my waist.
I took a step closer to the large standing mirror and saw my reflection.
I rested my fingertips on the cool, smooth glass and scratched the face of the mirror with my nails.
I furrowed my brows and tried to make out something from before in my reflection.
But I only saw a young woman who was laced in a noble corset.
The long black skirt I was wearing fell fluently to the floor.
I no longer recognized myself.
Only the dark mark on my left forearm brought me back to reality.
I clenched my hand into a shaky fist and lowered my head so that some curls fell across my face, partially obscuring my vision.
I clawed my fingernails into the palm of my hand and felt a tear drip from my cheek onto the dark wooden floor.
What had all this done to me...?
I snorted loudly and pushed the strands of hair that had fallen on my face behind my ear.
I sat up and dried my cheek.
Turned away from the mirror and left the room.
With brisk steps, I ran down the steep marble staircase, trying not to trip over my own feet.
The music coming from below got into my ear and made me slow down my pace.
To celebrate Lucius Malfoy no longer serving his time in Azkaban, he had organized a banquet and invited many pure-blood Death Eater families.
The entrance area was full of Death Eaters and other pure-blood wizards and witches.
I pushed my way through the crowds, trying to get into the heart of the property.
The most important of the guests were in the ballroom, which was more reminiscent of a dance hall.  I settled into one of the many chairs lined up along the walls and kept an eye on the doorway.
Once I could spot Lucius and Narcissa, I scanned the room for another blond boy and spotted him behind his father.
When Lucius Malfoy caught sight of me, he took slow steps towards me.
I got up and waited for what was to come.
"Viktoria, you look adorable." Said the white-haired man and kissed the back of my hand.
I acknowledged this with a nod and caught the Ice Prince's gaze.
"Draco be a gentleman and ask Victoria to dance," Lucius commanded his son, leaving us with a final nod.
Young Malfoy walked towards me, stopped a few inches from me and held out his hand, into which I placed mine a few moments later.
He pulled me to the center of the dance floor and placed his right hand on my waist with the other enclosing mine.
I put my left hand on his shoulder and let the ice prince guide me.
He moved to the beat of the music and looked into my eyes.
"Explain it to me..." Draco spoke sadly after a while.
The loud music drowned out his voice slightly.
He turned me around once and when he had me wrapped tightly again, I started to reply.
"It started when the Dark Lord sent me on a mission with Evan Rossier.
I didn't know what the mission was going to be, but when we broke into a Muggle family home, I knew what I had to do.
That night I had murdered two children and a baby a few weeks old..." I paused, blinking back tears.
I looked into his eyes and couldn't see any emotion in them.
“But it didn't stop with this one mission.
Again and again the dark lord had me summoned and gave me further orders.
Jobs where more and more people died.
34...to be exact.
The blood of 34 people is on my hands and I can totally understand you if you want nothing more to do with me.
I really don't want to have anything to do with myself anymore.
I hate myself for the deeds I have committed.
But I'll have to live with the consequences...." I was cut off by Draco's lips, which he placed on mine.
At first I didn't know how to deal with the situation, but then I returned the kiss and put my hands on his neck.
At that moment I didn't care at all that we were standing in the middle of a hundred people.
I felt a tear trickle from my eye and run down my cheek.
As Draco pulled away from me and wiped the tear from my face with his thumb, I took a deep breath and waited for him to speak.
"I forgive you, Victoria.
But only if you tell me everything from now on.
I want to know how you are.
know what you think
I want to know what keeps you awake...
Promise me...", the ice prince said in a calm voice and looked at me urgently.
"I promise," I said in a slightly shaky voice and closed my eyes.
"I love you and I always will no matter what," whispered young Malfoy, continuing to move to the beat of the music.
I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes.
"I love you too..."