Chapter 56 ~ An hour in which the living become dead...

Victoria's Pov.

I walked through the fighting crowds, hoping they wouldn't turn their attention to me.
It would be impossible for me to defend myself if curses came shooting at me from all directions.
I unconsciously ducked my head and kept running past the Death Eaters and Aurors.
Every now and then I looked over my shoulder to make sure Draco was still walking behind me.
When I looked ahead again, I instinctively ducked and avoided a giant's swinging club.
Colorful flashes of light shot out everywhere.
In every corner, students and Death Eaters went down.
There was a loud bang before part of Ravenclaw Tower was blown up.
Several boulders crashed to the ground with a loud roar and broke apart into hundreds of pieces when they hit the ground roughly.
Hundreds of smaller rocks flew through the air, throwing everything upside down.
I held my hands protectively in front of my face and turned to the side when the remaining tower finally collapsed within a few seconds and buried some combatants under the walls.
The rest of those still standing were pushed back into the castle walls by the Death Eaters.
Ahead of me and Draco, several seventh years appeared, who were not afraid to cast black magic curses on the Dark Lord's followers.
Again and again green flashes of light shot just past my head and I had trouble to ward off every spell.
Draco had his back to me and seemed to be having trouble dodging every single curse as well.
I abandoned my good intentions and shocked some of the students, who fell to the ground.
I had no intention of hurting anyone, but in this hopeless situation there seemed to be no other way.
Draco tied up one of the seventh years while I disabled the last one as well.
I took a quick look around and realized that the inner courtyard seemed deserted.
The Death Eaters pushed further into the castle, bringing down more and more walls.
I walked briskly inside the castle and tightened my grip on my wand.
As I rounded a corner and entered an empty hallway, I leaned against the cool stone wall for a moment.
There were few moments that night to take a deep breath.
"You're bleeding..!" the Ice Prince spoke while holding his aching side and pointing to my left arm.
I grabbed the wound with my right hand and when I removed it my hand was stained blood red.
I wiped my palm on my robe and pushed up the sleeve.
I hoped this would stop the bleeding.
"There you go," I gasped, pushing myself off the wall slightly before continuing down the corridor, dodging several black magic curses.
The sounds of battle filled my ears from all sides.
Everywhere the screams keep coming through the corridors.
I turned a corner and now realized where I was.
Not far from our current location was the great hall from which colorful flashes of light were shot.
We ran to the end of the aisle.
Stairs led down to the left and right.
Just as I was debating which one to take, the wall in front of us was ripped into a thousand pieces.
I jumped to the side and squatted down.
When the smoke cleared, I straightened up and looked around for Draco.
He was flat against the wall, one hand protectively covering his mouth to avoid inhaling unnecessary dust.
I pulled out my wand and first secured the area.
When I couldn't spot any potential enemies, I walked up to the Ice Prince and leaned against the wall next to him.
I closed my eyes exhausted.
I was startled when suddenly a hissing voice rang out.
Voldemort's voice echoed off the walls and floor.
He spoke to Hogwarts and all around.
His voice was so high and cold that the denizens of Hogsmead and all those still fighting in the castle heard him so clearly, as if he were standing beside them, as if they had his breath on their necks, a fatal blow away.
"You fought.
Fought heroically.
But in vain.
I appreciate bravery.
But you have suffered heavy losses.  If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one.
I don't want this to happen.
Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a terrible waste.
Lord Voldemort is merciful.
Therefore, I am ordering my forces to withdraw immediately.
you have one hour
Take advantage of their absence and carry away your dead with dignity.
Treat your injured.
Harry Potter, I am speaking directly to you now.
Tonight you let your friends die for you instead of facing me.
There is no greater shame.
I will wait an hour in the forbidden forest.  If by the end of this hour you have not come to me, have not surrendered, then the battle will begin again.
This time I'll go into battle myself.
Harry Potter, and I will find you, and I will punish every single man, woman or child who tried to hide you from me.
One hour!” the dark lord spoke in a hissing voice and she disappeared as quickly as she had come.
I shook my head with effort and made eye contact with the Ice Prince.
"I think we should head into the forbidden forest." I stated the obvious and started walking.
Draco nodded in agreement and followed me down the next corridor.
With brisk steps we ran down the stairs until we were only a few corridors away from the exit.
Draco suddenly grabbed my hand and turned me to face him.
"Viktoria, you will go to the forbidden forest and I will find Blaise.
I could never forgive myself if something happened to him.
I last saw him hours ago..." he spoke softly and bowed his head.
I took his hand and squeezed it briefly.
"Okay take care."
I released her and turned my back on Hogwarts.

I stomped across the wet grass and took a deep breath.
I paused at the tree line in the forbidden forest and turned to the castle.
I had no idea how many victims there have been that night.
How many families have been, or will be, torn apart.
With lazy steps entered the forest and stepped over some roots that lolled on the ground.
With difficulty I was able to keep myself on my feet.
I tried hard to keep my eyes open.
If I had closed them, I probably would have fallen asleep from exhaustion.
Shaking my head to ward off tiredness, I continued on my way until I could make out rustling sounds from the thicket.
I gripped my staff tighter and took deliberate steps in the direction I suspected the rustling was coming from.
I recognized a person who was standing with his back to me and his head bowed.
I stood behind a tree and kept glancing at the person standing in front of me.
Upon closer inspection, I realized who it was.
"Potter...?" I said to the person in front of me, stepping out from behind the tree.
The chosen one jerked in my direction and aimed Draco's former wand at my chest.
He didn't say a word, just held the staff higher as I approached him.
"What do you want, Lestrange?" he asked me, his voice cracking slightly.
"Do you want to hand me over to Voldemort?" he hissed, and I saw his knuckles turn white as he tightened his grip on the wand.
"No, I will not do that!"
I saw a confused expression take over his face.
He cocked his head but kept aiming at me.
"What else?"
I faced him from under my mask, my wand dangling beside my body.
"I'll try to stop you from sacrificing yourself..." As those words left my lips, I took a few steps closer to the chosen one.
He struggled, but lowered his wand and tucked it under his robes.
"Why do you, as a Death Eater, as a follower of Voldemort, want to stop me?" Potter asked me unconvinced.
I shook my head almost imperceptibly and closed the distance between us a little more.
"Because...because I want Voldemort dead..."
He furrowed his brows and eyed me suspiciously.
"Why?"
"He took my life...
If you sacrifice yourself, all is lost." I finally said, stepping past Potter.
"The lesson is almost over... You have to make a decision...!"