Chapter 57 ~ Eyes glowing red in the light of the fire.

Victoria's Pov.

I continued walking through the forest looking for the dark lord.
I figured he would probably be in the middle of the forbidden forest.
"There's someone," came a low whisper from nearby.
"He's got an invisibility cloak, could that-?" came another low murmur.
I pulled out my wand and aimed it in the direction the voices were coming from.
Two figures emerged from behind a nearby tree.
Their wands flared and I saw Yaxley and Dolohov pointing their wands at me.
"Oh, it's you, Lestrange," Dolohov said, a little disappointed, lowering his wand.
I stepped towards her and tucked mine under my robes as well.
"What are you doing here?" I asked, turning to the two Death Eaters, cocking my head.
"We were just on our way to the Dark Lord," Yaxley said coolly, eyeing me suspiciously.
"There!  That noise.  There's someone there!" Dolohov called out and frantically turned in circles, looking for the trigger.
He aimed his wand into the darkness, but no one was to be seen.
"Put the staff away, Dolohov!" I instructed, turning to Yaxley.
"But I definitely heard something!" the Death Eater said confidently.
"Probably an animal, come down."  Yaxley said, annoyed, to his partner.
I rolled my eyes and started walking.
"That moron Hagrid kept a whole bunch of critters in here," I said provocatively, glancing over my shoulder for a moment.
I knew Dolohov didn't like being opposed to him.
He shook his head slightly and then followed Yaxley who had come to my side.
I looked down at my watch.
"Time is almost up.  Potter has had an hour.
He is not coming!"
I slipped the sleeve back over my wrist and put on my hood.
“And he was sure he would come.  He's not going to like that at all.” Yaxley said, inspecting every corner of the forest.
He left out the fact that he could hardly see anything in this darkness.
"Better we go back," Dolohov said behind me, catching up,
"and hear what's planned now."
Yaxley turned away from the darkness and ran deeper into the forest.
I followed him as he seemed to know exactly where the dark lord was.
After a few minutes, I saw a light right in front of me and we entered a clearing.
In the midst of these burned a fire, its flickering light falling on a dense crowd of perfectly silent, watchful Death Eaters.
Some of them were still masked and, like me, still had their hoods on, others showed their faces.
Two giants sat at the edge of the group, chunky as rocks, casting huge shadows across the scene.
In the midst of the Death Eaters, I saw Fenir Greyback, lurking and biting his long nails.
The tall Death Eater Rowle dabbed his bleeding lip.
Amongst others I saw Draco's father, Lucius Malfoy, who looked dejected and frightened, and Narcissa, eyes deep in their sockets full of suspicion.
All eyes were on Voldemort, who was standing with his head bowed and his white hands clasped over the Elder Wand in front of him.
It was as if he were silently counting to himself.
Floating behind the Dark Lord's head, writhing and wriggling, was the great serpent Nagini in her glittering magical cage.
She looked like a monstrous halo.
As I and the two other Death Eaters joined the circle, Voldemort looked up.
"No sign of him, sir," I said coolly, clasping my hands behind my back.
The dark lord's expression didn't change.
The red eyes seemed to glow in the light of the fire.
He slowly pulled the Elder Wand out from between his fingers.
"Lord..." my mother had spoken.
She was sitting closest to Voldemort, her hair disheveled, her face a little bloody, but otherwise unharmed.
The dark lord slowly raised his hand and silenced her.
She didn't say another word, but regarded him with fascinated deference.
I wondered why Voldemort hadn't ordered her to be silent sooner.
It was unusual to see my mother so still.
"I thought he was coming," Voldemort said in his high, clear voice, his eyes on the blazing flames.
"I expected him to come."
Nobody spoke.  The Death Eaters all seemed scared.
I took a deep breath.
"I was, it seems... wrong.", the dark lord said and clasped his hands together again.
"You didn't!" I heard the loud, powerful voice of the chosen one.
I suddenly became different.
My heart was pounding against my ribs so hard I couldn't breathe.
I turned to the boy who survived, who caught my eye.
He seemed sure of himself, like it was the only right thing to do.
The giants roared as the Death Eaters rose in unison.
Screams, gasps and even laughter could be heard.
Voldemort stood perfectly still, but his red eyes had found the chosen one.
He stared at him as Potter walked towards him, nothing but fire between them.
"HARRY!  NO!” a voice yelled.
Potter turned to the game warden, who was bound and tied to a tree.
His massive body struggled in desperation, shaking the branches overhead.
"NO!  NO!  HARRY WHAT YOU WANT-? his hoarse voice echoed across the clearing.
"SILENCE!" Rowle yelled, and a flick of his wand silenced Hagrid.
My mother, who had jumped to her feet, looked eagerly and with heaving chest from the dark lord to the chosen one.
Voldemort cocked his head slightly, eyeing the boy standing in front of him, and a strangely mirthless smile creased his lipless mouth.
"Harry Potter," he said very quietly.
"The Boy Who Lived."
No Death Eater moved.
We waited.
Hagrid struggled and my mother gasped in euphoria.
Voldemort had raised his wand.
His head was still cocked to one side.
"Avada Kedavra!" the Dark Lord yelled, and a bolt of green light erupted from his staff.
He hit the chosen one in the chest.
Potter tipped sideways and collapsed onto the dirty forest floor.
He didn't move anymore.
It was over....