Chapter 9

🅸🆃'🆂 been a good 4 days since that incident, and Aries is still kept bedridden as his wounds slowly turn into scars. Aries' wrist is the worse of the two, it has been broken and he's been bandaged by the doctor. He's been put on ice to heal in the meantime.

Estella still has a hard time keeping her emotions in check as she's been taking care of Aries. She was the one to stay at his side to check his condition and take care of the bandages.

Aries doesn't want anyone to take care of him, he doesn't want anyone to see him in his condition. Only Estella was allowed to enter and exit freely. If the girl consumes too much time outside, Aries would panic and commence hunting for her.

Aries was still a bit angry at the commander's actions, but he had silently scolded himself to not bring up the topic of the incident, disturbed it might generate Estella to break once more.

Today is a new day. Estella stays with Aries, locked together as she helps him wear his shirt, finally able to move around openly without being nagged at. As Estella buttons his shirt, Aries kept his eyes locked on her, his hand slowly stroking her face. Estella's eyes widened; she hadn't even noticed that Aries was moving his hand.

She didn't want to move it away, it felt good, Estella smiled softly, "You're a good person, Aries." She was mentioning how he had recently killed the two peacemakers, a topic that's been quiet until now. Aries eyes and face became solemn, his hand still caressing her face, "I killed. My emotion got the best of me."

"With reasoning. You killed those peacemakers because they were about to slaughter innocent children."

Aries's eyes closed as he remembered the rage he felt when he had killed those men. He remembered the sickening feeling of it all, the burning of his eyes, the burning of his heart. He looked down to the ground, his hands tightening around Estella's hand as he felt the warmth of her skin. "That doesn't conceal the fact I killed someone."

Estella shook her head softly, "No, it doesn't. But it shows you that you're not a monster, Aries."

There was a soft knock, blocking their conversation from persisting. It was Dennis, he stares between them for a while. "Aries, Estella, I came to see how you are doing." Dennis's voice was soft and calm, he was a bit worried that he might be intruding.

"We're fine." Aries's voice was faint, he didn't want to be reminded of the incident. "Great, you should head up to the living room. President Snow is announcing the 75th reaping." Dennis stated, leaving them alone first as he went ahead.

Estella and Aries stood up, and they both stare at each other with a look of trouble. Both had a bad feeling about this, ever since President Snow had visited them. Aries lead Estella to the living room, he closes the door behind them as he took the lead to the living room where everyone has gathered around the TV.

Aries sat down on the couch, pulling Estella to sit on the armrest of the couch. Placing his hand around her waist as they focus on the screen which shows President Snow walking up the stage with the crowd cheering and clapping for him. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is the 75th year of the Hunger Games..."

Estella leans to Aries's ears, "I don't feel too good." Aries doesn't say anything, he just turns his head to Estella, "You don't have to worry about anything. You're safe."

"... I'm doubting that now." Estella whispers, her voice shaky. Aries didn't say anything, he just nodded and tightened his grip around her waist. "Aries, what's going to happen to us?" Estella asked, her voice sounding soft and afraid. "I don't know," Aries whispered back.

"...On this third, Quarter Quell Games, the male and female Tributes are to be reaped... from the existing pool of victors from each district."

Estella couldn't hold it any longer, falling into Aries's lap as she curled into a ball. Aries kept his rigid scowl on the screen at President Snow's face. Mr. William's scream of anger could be heard in the background, Mrs. William shaking her head while biting her nails, and Susan had tears running down her eyes.

"... no matter the age."

Estella covers her ears from hearkening anymore to President Snow or the sound of things breaking and people's cries. She was flinching at every loud noise, especially Mr. William's anger at the back, Aries's arms secure of her safety, placed around her. He didn't know how else to comfort her.

Aries glanced beside him, sat Dennis, the only living past Victors left in District 5. Dennis was looking down; his head was lowered and his eyes were closed. He had a sad look on his face as he had been listening to the announcement.

"Are you going to be fine?" Aries asked him. Dennis opened his eyes and looked at Aries, "No. But you should worry more about Estella. She has no choice." Aries frowned; he didn't want to hear that.

"She has to be chosen," Dennis said, his blue eyes filled with sadness. "I don't want it to happen but there's no one else besides her." / "I don't want it either," Aries replied, his voice dark. He stood up with Estella in his arms, he didn't know what he was going to do, however, he comprehends that he and Estella don't desire to be anywhere near the TV and preferably alone.

Aries walks them to his room, locking them from reality as he places Estella on the bed, cuddling together to smooth down the tense feeling in each other. He had his hand on her head, he was trying to comfort her. He wanted to make her feel better but his mind was racing, he couldn't fix his thoughts, not after what had happened.

Estella lay her head on him, the girl had her hand on his chest, stroking it softly. Aries's eyes closed, he was trying to calm himself down, his mind echoing the venom words. "I kill."

Aries repeated it to himself, changing the conversation to the previous one they had, "I can kill again... But when will it stop?" He tightened his grip around Estella, he was scared that he might lose her. Estella peered up at Aries, "It's not going to stop..." Aries nodded, he didn't say anything, he just didn't want to think about it.

Next Chapter: ...