Chapter 24

🆃🅷🅴 sound of fanfare music filled every tribute's ears, along with the loud cheers of the crowd upon Flickerman entering the stage. The crowd is so loud that it can be heard from the seats and the floor to the top of the arena.

Flickerman laughs out loud, clearly having a blast with the cheers and reaction from the crowd with his mere entrance, "Thank you! Thank you for being here tonight on the eve of the 75th Hunger Games!"

The crowd grew wilder at his statement, some even stood up to show their excitement with claps and hollers. Aries who's in the dressing room along with Poppy and her prep crew had a scowl on his face upon the crowd and Flickerman's clear excitement.

A screen has been displaying the live interview from Flicker. Moving his interest from the cheers and annoying words from the host, Aries notices the dull and sorrowful look upon Poppy.

Aries has never seen Poppy this way, she was always cheerful and upbeat no matter what. But the way she's acting now, it's not like her. He look around the room, hoping someone would notice and ask the matter of the older woman since Aries has never been the best in comfort or being sympathetic to others.

Sighing out when no one is caring. "... What gotten you in such a depressed state?" Aries looks at the screen, he watches the interview however, Poppy could see that his attention is on her who's fixing his outfit.

"President Snow suggested this outfit for you and Estella." / "So? You're sad that we're aren't presenting your design?" Poppy disregard Aries's scoffs and chuckles at how childish that would be, although due to Poppy's quietness his mind knew that he's in the wrong here.

"... He did the same for Katniss. She would be wearing a wedding dress but... C-Cinna decided to do his own alteration." Poppy's voice broke a bit at the end, she couldn't help the tears that were rolling down her cheeks. Aries felt his breath hitch for Poppy, understanding now what going on.

He and Estella had been supportive of the secret relationship Poopy had with Cinna, they even made a bet about their marriage this year, but Cinna's action is a clear gesture of his readiness for his death.

Aries strives to look at the bright side like he has always been and questions, "What did he change? I bet he just made it look more stunning that people don't notice Katniss's hideous frown." Aries laugh out the dark tension but Poppy's answer broke his attempt as he accompanies her sorrows.

"... a Mockingjay." The Mockingjay is a symbol of rebellion.

Poppy's voice was slow and soft, she took a few minutes before she could talk. Aries was in shock, he knew that Cinna and Katniss had a strong bond towards the rebellion, but to leave the one you love to make that statement is merely too bold.

Aries looks at Poppy who's rambling on her own as tears continue to fall, Aries didn't know what to do. When he looked up towards the mirror he stood before, he had never been so glad to see Iphigenia.

Iphigenia had a shocked look, meaning she had heard everything from Poppy which is surprising since the other prep team seem clueless. Iphigenia didn't think twice to pull Poppy into a hug the girl broke down in an instant. Iphigenia absentmindedly wipe the tears that were rolling down Poppy's face while her other hand holds the girl's head, "It's alright, we'll get through this. Fate sometimes likes to play a twist."

Aries looks ahead, refusing to listen to Iphigenia's sweet words of hope, he has never been one to listen to them anymore. Soon Estella and Dennis walked in, sensing the tension in the room. Dennis went to Poppy in worry while Estella to Aries was in question. "What's wrong, Aries? What's going on?"

Aries looks down at Estella, he glances at Poppy's state before whispering carefully to Estella's ear, "We can cancel the bet. There will be no wedding bells." Estella let out a sudden gasp as Aries spoke, she had been so hopeful for Poppy's future with the person she believed to be her soulmate.

Aries, who was the other person in the bet, has always been the one to never be interested in people's love life but Cinna and Poppy had been his favorite and first. They both stare at Poppy, Estella feeling her eyes welling in tears which made her look up to the ceiling since the prep crew had put their hardest on the make-up.

Poppy had been shown out of the room with Iphigenia since she needed time alone, and the prep team leaving too. Dennis went up to his tribute, reading both their diverse reaction to the slight intensity in the room. Both gave a look toward Dennis, gesturing they would rather talk about anything but Poppy any Cinna right now.

Dennis smiles and nods wisely, he knows how to handle this situation. "You both look truly remarkable." This brought Aries and Estella to study each other's outfits that they have forgotten. Aries smile, pleased discerning how pretty Estella is.

Estella is in a beautiful dress that is a mix of red and black. The dress is long with a dangerous slit to her upper thigh on both sides, it's a style that is not common in the Capitol, but it goes well with her figure and skin tone. It's a dress that is simple in design, but it's one that would complement the girl's beauty.

Estella would definitely set a trend for it, with her smokey eyes and hair tied to the side on her shoulder.

Aries on the other hand, apparel in a very seductive outfit like Estella, one designating his build, muscles, and scars. His arms were exposed, an eye patch to cover his weak-sighted eye. He is wearing a black coat behind him that accentuates his body further and presents him looking more intimidating. The black and red color of the outfit gives the impression of a predator.

"Now, other tributes are making excuses or scenarios to gain the crowd's support in the hope this Hunger Game cancel. I suggest you do the same." Dennis spoke in his mentor tone, showing his seriousness and worry for them. Estella and Aries broke their eye contact, their faces had the same blank expression.

Dennis goes on, "Please be careful with your words. Don't be as forward as... Cinna, but make it something that would make the crowd support you."

Next Chapter: