Chapter 30

🆃🅷🅴🆈 have been walking for hours now, slowing their pace before due to their high thirst. Aries took note of how Peeta would wobble on his feet and Finnick's breathing picks up from carrying Mags around too long. Aries had to talk some sense into Katniss to take a break for the others.

Katniss even had the time to do her own theory as she shoots an arrow into the sky by climbing that huge tree when everyone rested. Now, Aries had to listen to something quite obvious he picks up much faster than everyone else.

"It's a dome. We're at the edge of the arena." Katniss sighed, "I couldn't find any signs of freshwater." / "It's going to get dark soon. We'll be safe with our backs protected. We should set camp." Finnick suggests as he pointed to a spot to set up camp. Katniss and Peeta glance at each other, Katniss the one to refuse Finnick's idea of taking turns sleeping, not trusting him, especially Aries.

Aries scoffed, standing up from the rock he stated, "Listen here, Katniss. I don't give a fuck if you don't trust anyone but your lovely husband Peeta. I don't give a shit." Aries stood right in front of Katniss, his glare chilling her. "But if you don't have some faint honey, why bother having allies? I dare you to go out and survive on your own."

Aries walks away, and went looking for things that were useful for the camp, Finnick and Mags begin weaving mats out from the trees and leaves that have fallen onto the ground. Night befalls quickly amidst them.

Finnick and Katniss had taken the first watch, Katniss due to having a lack of faint with anyone in the group but Peeta. Aries put a distance between the group, as he zones out wandering where Estella would be or what she was doing. Aries was hoping she was safe.

Aries was about to head back when he came across Mags, who was lying down, he leaned down to be on her level. "Hey, Mags. You alright?" Aries ask as he looked at her, the older woman is certainly exhausted and had a lot appearing to her age. "I'm fine," Mags mumbles as she closed her eyes.

Aries nods his head, deciding on accepting that answer as he watches over her sleeping form, feeling the closest to the older woman than anyone else to stay the night with.

At that moment the Panem anthem was vocal out in the night, as a screen showed each victor that had fallen today. Aries sighed, he had to watch this, he kept a keen watch on the name and picture, anxious for Estella's which luckily didn't happen.

He kept his eyes on the sky despite the anthem being concluded, he caught sight of two sliver boxes floating with a parachute. His eyes stuck on the boxes, not wanting to take his eyes off them as he went closer, catching them mid-air.

Capturing Finnick and Katniss's attention as they rush toward him, throwing one of the boxes to Katniss as he opened the other one. 'Poppy's dead. Suicide. Estella knew beforehand. - D,'

Aries felt his breathing harden; he couldn't believe it. Aries was furious, his hands were shaking as he grew angry at Poppy but froze when the last sentence rang in his brain. Estella knew. Remembering all the death Estella had to face, from a young age due to her parent, and her friends at the previous game.

He broke wandering about how Estella is coping with all this without him by her side. He recalls the memories of how hard Estella is to face the loss of someone she knew, heck when her parent died, her brain had a shutdown system from remembering him.

When Rue died, Estella wasn't thinking straight and could barely hold a fight.

When Thresh died, she blames herself, she and Aries even got into aggression sometimes

"Aries! Katniss found water!" Finnick had called for the male, the first to sense his state. Aries looked at Finnick, his teeth clenched with rage, "I'm fine." He took in a deep breath, calming his heart, once morning hits, his first priority is finding Estella.

Looking at what was inside the rather large box, Aries got two water bottles filled. Walking his way to Mags first to hand her one, helping her open the cape as he watches her carefully drink with shaky hands

Aries drank the other until it was half for himself, then threw it to Peeta, gesturing him to go collect the water from the spile Katniss got.

.

Aries hiss in pain when Katniss wakes him up by elbowing his ribs before pointing towards a green mist that imminently sets a warning in Aries's mind. He looks around seeing that everyone was still a slept, slowly gathering their needs as Aries can see this would turn into a running marathon soon.

He watches as Katniss scouted closer and closer towards the gas, Aries knew that he should warn her and told her a stern 'no' but Aries wanted her to learn it the hard way as he went to wake up Finnick.

The moment Katniss had to reach the fog by a mere centimeter, she let out an ear-pitching scream that woke everyone. Aries being the closest to her, witness the boils and blisters welling up on her hand due to the horrible acid that sizzled clear to Aries's ears, "Ah, who knew, curiosity does kill the cat."

Katniss glared at him, her eyes in tears from the agony while Aries smirked, rushing up to shove everyone awake. This is the first real danger the group had faced, as they run the best they could from the fog, the other sound then huffs and grunts them would be Aries's hysterical laughter as he yells, "Damn! I love this arena!"

Vines become a challenge to pass through as they slowed everyone down, and the dirt felt heavy as it put more weight on everyone. Katniss had tripped on a root to which Peeta tried to help her up, only to end up both of them getting enthused with the acid and burning them.

Even with all that, they continue running to which Aries applaud, literally.

The sound of Finnick's screaming in pain caught Aries's attention, he become worried, not for the male but for Mags. Being in the lead and unharmed, Aries looks behind him, seeing Mags stumbling along with Finnick as he begs for Mags to hurriedly get on his back. Aries let out a sigh of relief when Finick and Mags had caught onto him, Katniss, and a fallen Peeta.

The fog continues to creep closer to them as Katniss begs with her eyes, "I can't carry him." Katniss started crying seeing this might be the end, Finnick looked between Mags and Peeta. The older woman had placed one of her hands on Finnick's shoulder, a gesture of, 'It's fine.'

Her other hand cupped Finnick's face to face her last goodbye. Aries watch all this, the sad melodramatic drama happening before him as he rolled his eyes. Whining and stomping his feet to gain attention.

"Oh, my god. I'm stuck with dramatic people!" Aries halts Mags from walking into the acid, plunging her on his back as he gestures to Finnick to get Peeta, "I swear you people forget I'm here sometimes."

Next Chapter: