Chapter 40

🆃🅷🅴 anthem begins, but there are no faces in the sky tonight. The audience will be restless, thirsting for blood, Aries taught. Beetee's trap holds enough promise, though, that the Gamemakers haven't sent in other attacks. Perhaps they are simply curious to see if it will work.

At what Aries judge to be about nine, they leave our shell-strewn camp, cross to the twelve o'clock beach, and begin to quietly hike up to the lightning tree in the light of the moon. Their full stomachs make it more uncomfortable and breathless than the morning's climb.

Beetee had asked Finnick to assist him, and the rest of us stand guard. Before he even attaches any wire to the tree, Beetee unrolls yards and yards of the stuff. He has Finnick secure it tightly around a broken branch and lay it on the ground. Then they stand on either side of the tree, passing the spool back and forth as they wrap the wire around and around the trunk. At first, it seems arbitrary, then Aries could see a pattern, like an intricate maze, appearing in the moonlight on Beetee's side. He wonders if it makes any difference how the wire's placed, or if this is merely to add to the speculation of the audience.

Letting out a groan as a headache appears from all those thinking, "Where the hell is she?" Aries mumbles, wishing that Estella was here to explain it easily to him. But now thinking about it, he started worrying, despite having been separated before in the arena, something felt extremely off. It's like he doesn't feel Estella was even on the battlefield.

Snapping back to reality, the work on the trunk's completed just as everyone hears the wave begin. This is when Beetee reveals the rest of the plan. Since everyone moves most swiftly through the trees, he wants Johanna, Aries, and Katniss to take the coil down through the jungle, unwinding the wire as they go. They are to lay it across the twelve o'clock beach and drop the metal spool, with whatever is left, deep into the water, making sure it sinks. Then run for the jungle. If they go now, right now, they should make it to safety.

"I want to go with them as a guard," Peeta says immediately. As the idea was closing in, it was clear that Peeta was anxious to leave Katniss behind. Especially seeing that almost everyone was losing their partner, he didn't was to separate.

"You're too slow. Besides, I'll need you on this end. They have Aries, he will guard," says Beetee. "There's no time to debate this. I'm sorry. If the girls are to get out of there alive, they need to move now." He hands the coil to Johanna. Aries gave him a look before fixing his sentence, "Boy and girl," As for Katniss, she too obviously doesn't like the plan any more than Peeta does. How can she protect him at a distance? But Beetee's right. With his leg, Peeta is too slow to make it down the slope in time. Johanna and Katniss are the fastest and most sure-footed on the jungle floor.

While Aries. He was just Aries. There haven't even been a clear scratch or blood on his appearance since the start of the hunger game.

"It's okay," she tells Peeta. "We'll just drop the coil and come straight back up." / "Not into the lightning zone," Beetee reminds them. "Head for the tree in the one-to-two-o'clock sector. If you find you're running out of time, move over one more. Don't even think about going back on the beach, though, until I can assess the damage."