Surprise, Surprise

(Soleil's POV)

The weeks passed by quickly for Soleil, while Tony had informed her -over the phone- that they had been dragging on for a lifetime since she has been gone. Overall she spent most of the month back and forth between the penthouse apartment and Stark Industries, doing paperwork, going to meetings, etc.

Pepper had basically gotten a bit backed up with everything ever since they had left for New York, as she was used to Soleil being more readily available. Soleil understood that a lot of the main work of Stark Industries stayed at the California headquarters, so she was not even upset to help Pepper clear through the accumulated amount of work.

It was great to have her girlfriend back as well, as Pepper and Soleil spent a lot of time out; going shopping, out for lunch or dinner. They even had a girl's night one evening which was really great for some much needed r&r in their line of work.

As for Tony, he made sure to keep Soleil posted on the development for Veronica. Bruce and him have drawn out the schematics for the satellite and going over the finer details of the design as they looked over the parts that had shipped to the tower.

Soleil was pleased how the two -yes, even Bruce messaged her- on the updates of Veronica's development while she was away for the past couple of weeks. With the last week of May coming up and Tony's birthday which was on a Wednesday this year; he decided on not doing anything for once.

Being preoccupied with the new satellite, Tony was not really in a mood for celebration and Soleil could tell that he was in one of his moods; getting into his creative zone -is what she called it-.

She would be staying until Friday the 31st, so she would not be back in New York until the end of that day. That way she would be back the night before their 3 year anniversary and she told Bruce to hold off giving Tony his present because she really wanted to do it in person.

It was a watch that she had gotten custom-made with a message engraved on the back of it, but she thought it would be better suited as anniversary gift rather than a birthday one.

Pepper and her spent the 29th basically finishing up the last bit of work and cleaning up the itty bitty stuff they had leftover. It was still a busy day overall and Soleil was happy that she had called in the morning to wish Tony a 'happy birthday' though it went to voicemail -she assumed he already was busy working away in the lab due to the 3 hour time difference- so she left a voicemail and text message as well.

Once their office hours were done, along with all the work they had to complete; Pepper and Soleil let out a sigh of relief as they exited the Stark Industries' entrance doors.

Soleil stretched her arms over her head. "Mmmmm...I'm so happy that's done."

"Me too. I don't know how I would have done it without you, Sol. You've been a big help." Pepper smiled.

"It's part of my job, Pep. I'm glad I could help."

"I honestly did not think much of the implications it would cause to basically have my partner living across the country instead of an hour away from the company."

"I know. It's definitely an experience compared to last year when I was basically in the office all the time with you. Or working from my laptop back at the villa."

"Good evening, ladies." Happy greeted as he held the passenger door of the Rolls Royce Phantom open for them. "How was your day?"

"Hey, Happy." Soleil smiled as she moved towards the door first. "It was good."

"Yeah, we managed to finish everything and now I should be able to work out a better schedule on how to handle the workload as for when Soleil returns to New York." Pepper answered before sliding into the back seat after Soleil.