Call

╭⋟───────────────╮
Call
╰───────────────⋞╯

Author :: jikook889

Reviewer :: btsluvvesper

First Impression :: 9.5/20

The first impression is everything that allures someone towards you and your works. I wouldn’t say it was one of the best, but still, it was nice. Let’s take a look at why it wasn’t the best.

» Cover :: 4.5/10

Undoubtedly, the cover was quite attractive and well-designed. However, it failed to connect with the storyline. It was not portraying the overall sad and depressing vibe. Rather it was showing a dark-themed, science-fiction topic. 

The cover should be enchanting and should also hold the relevancy of the story theme, which your cover certainly failed to do. Apart from that, I feel that your author's name and the subtitles under it weren't very visible. I had to squint my eyes to see it properly. 

Overall, I would suggest that you put a cover that is more relevant to the plot. A dark-themed cover isn’t always needed for such depression and anxiety-related stories. Try to create a cover with the proper context on your story and you are all good for the cover. 

» Title :: 3/5

The title is the identity of the story and it suggests what the story will mainly focus on and/or what it will be about. 

I am not going to lie, but yes, the title was quite connected with the plot, as all the things started and ended with the "call". It was to the point of the main subject. In that way, it was a good job.

But, I, clearly, wasn't allured to read the book seeing the title. That's because it was too common and usual to have such a name for the title. You can have many books/stories with the similar or exact same title if you search up for it  Thus, in the case of creativity and uniqueness, you lacked a bit. 

Therefore, come up with something more interesting and hooking for the title yet keep it relevant. And you are good to go. 

» Blurb :: 2/5

The blurb is the start of your story and the end of the first impression. By reading a blurb, we can get what will happen in the story, why it can happen, what types of characters might be there. There should be a conflict or suspense, suggesting how the story will unfold based on that suspense. It should be related to the plot. 

In your blurb, you included almost everything about the story. The suspense was barely considered. As you have already mentioned who Yoongi was and what his job might be; why Jimin called Yoongi, etc. It kind of was predictable to guess what could happen. Thus, a little suspense without directly revealing the speakers and without giving every detail, it would have been more interesting. 

Also, you have a few punctuation errors after ending dialogues and in between sentences. For example, the very first line came out wrong due to the absence of punctuation : 

"This is Call Centre Min Yoongi speaking." 

Here it suggests as if "Call center" and "Min Yoongi speaking" are not different things rather "Min Yoongi is the call center who is speaking." Also, there was no need to capitalize the "call center" as you are using it as common nouns and it's not the name of something so, an article was needed. The modified version can be :

"This is a/the call center (.) / (,) Yoongi speaking." 

Or even better, if it was "This is / I am Min Yoongi speaking."