Nineteen - Manager

I woke up early morning on the day of Christmas. It was cold and it was quiet. I blankly stared at my window where the snow was falling thicker than recently. My gaze then switched to the heels Mikey gave me that's beside the Toman uniforms hanging in my closet.

Today's the day I do my job as Toman's manager.

And today's Christmas.

The weather was so freezing that I couldn't even get out of bed

The weather was so freezing that I couldn't even get out of bed. I counted five before I rushed to the shower, and then completed my winter clothes with my thick maroon jacket, black pants, white sneakers, and a skin-colored scarf similar to the one I gave Mikey.

Before I sprinted to my destination, I firstly greeted Masaru and Aunt Sora, handing them their gifts. I hadn't eaten yet because I was worried I might miss Takemichi at his house. I panted with my breath being seen in the cold just when I got in time.

Takemichi was inside his room when I got there. He just sat there on his bed, staring down at the floor. He's so focused on what he's thinking that he didn't notice I was there. I trudged towards him, slowly sat beside him, and decided to give him a hug.

He blinked thrice before he spoke. "Huh? Delle?"

I hugged him tighter, my arms around his neck, and whispered, "You are not alone, Michi." I let go and formed a smile. "Please, don't forget that."

He didn't say a word, but his eyes looked like he's about to cry.

"Also, don't forget that I'm here, okay? If there's anything I could do to hel—"

"Don't," he suddenly cut me off, surprising me.

"Huh?"

Takemichi looked down with a line on his forehead. "You shouldn't be involved in this, Delle. I... can't lose you too."

What... is he saying? Nothing's going to happen to me if I help him, right? Then, what does he mean... he can't lose me too?

My mouth opened for breath, still confused. "Takemichi..."

He forced himself to smile a little. "You're my cousin, Delle. And I love you. I might never forgive myself if something bad happens to you."

The line echoed in my ears, remembering someone who said the exact same thing.

Tears built up in my eyes. I blinked it away and covered my face. This is the mature Takemichi I'm speaking with, but even if I couldn't understand him, his words were genuine. I didn't know he felt this way about me. I thought he didn't really care.