38. we got him

~~~~♛~~~~

You leaned down and fed Anastasia an apple as you made your way down to Saint Denis

You leaned down and fed Anastasia an apple as you made your way down to Saint Denis. You knew Dutch and Arthur had headed down there earlier, and Sadie told you at camp to meet them down at the saloon. She had a wicked smile on her face, so god only knows what was going on.

You noticed how the closer you got to the city, the duller the sky got. You hated Saint Denis, it held so many bad memories, but you knew you couldn't get away, not yet at least. You arrive outside of the saloon and hitched your horse. You could faintly hear three voices that you recognized coming from inside.

You walked through the swinging doors and Dutch turned to look at you. "There you are."

"Here I am." You said sliding in between Dutch and Sadie, who were standing at the bar.

"Let's go." He said, putting his beer down.

"Go where? Why are you all so riled up?" You asked.

"Today is a great day y/n" he responded. "Today is the day they are going to hang Colm O'Driscoll."

You eyes widened, shocked by what was said. Flashbacks from all the run ins you had with Colm crossed your mind. There were quite a few, and you knew the gang had even more history with him.

"Are they finally hanging him, or is this like the hundred other times when he's gotten out?" You asked.

"That my dear, is why despite us being wanted men, we are going to attend the event ourselves." He said with a smile.

Dutch handed you you and Sadie a box and pushed you both into a back room. You both opened the box, pulling out yellow and blue dresses.

"These are absolutely hideous." You said inspecting the dress.

"It will be worth it to watch that bastard swing." Sadie responded, putting on the dress. You followed her lead, putting on the blue dress. You both shoved your old clothing into the box, and stepped out of the room. Dutch and Arthur were in police uniforms. You laughed at how ridiculous they looked. Arthur just rolled his eyes.

Dutch's eyes rested on you for a moment, taking in the view of the blue dress. Last time you'll see this.

"Well don't we just look the part." Arthur said looking at everyone's outfits.

The four of you walked out the back of the saloon and made your way over to the gallows. Conversations of watching Colm swing, and how everyone needed to keep their cool, filled the air as you walked. Colm had taken things from everyone. He took Annabelle from Dutch, Sadie's husband, and Kieran. You knew how much this meant to the three of them.

As you arrived, you saw two men standing in front of the gallows messing around. "Those two boys are Colm's. I'm glad we're here." Dutch said.

You noticed them pointing to the building behind you. There was nothing significant about the building, so it raised suspicions. "What are they pointing at?"

"I don't know." Arthur answered. "I'll go follow it and find out."

You all tried to stay innocent while one of Colm's boys walked by. "You two stay here." Dutch said as him and Arthur walked off to follow the man.

You turned over to Sadie. "I'm glad you get to be here, you deserve to watch him die."

"No matter what happens, if his boys try to save him? I will make sure he dies today." She said, with the most serious look you've ever seen.

You both stood around and waiting until Dutch came back. "Arthur's following him, there will be no funny business on my watch." Dutch said, taking a spot next you you. You looked up at him and nodded. He smiled down at you, you could tell how long he has waited for this day.

"Fair citizens of Saint Denis." The three of you looked, as a man stepped onto the gallows. "Colm O'Driscoll has murdered, tortured, robbed, stolen, raped, and abused for a decade across five states. Seemingly with impunity. Today, justice catches up with him."

Colm stood on the gallows, rope around his neck and he laughed. "As well you may, I've been a bad man." He joked.

The one police officer put a bandana in his mouth to shut him up. You, Dutch, and Sadie walked into the crowd, wanting to get a front row seat. You stood back as Sadie put a knife to one of Colm's mens throats, and Dutch put a gun to the other man.

You kept your eyes on Colm. You saw a wave of worry hit his face as he noticed Dutch in the crowd. His eyes flickered up to the roof of the building behind you. You turned your head to follow his gaze. You saw Arthur standing on the roof, waving at Colm. You looked back up at Colm, who was looking around, knowing his plan of escape was ruined.

Dutch nodded at Colm as there eyes met once again. Colm's breathing started to stagger, knowing that he was going to die.

"Colm O'Driscoll, may god in his infinite wisdom, have mercy upon your soul."

You turned your head as they pulled the lever. As much as you wanted the closure for the group, you didn't want to watch.

"Now you know what it feels to watch someone you love die." You heard Sadie say, moments before killing the man in-front of her. She turned and shot the man Dutch had a whole of. Dutch looked at her in shock.

"Okay, let's go." Dutch said grabbing Sadie, trying to keep her from shooting any innocent people.

The three of you ran to take cover, as more O'Driscolls came out from seemingly no where and started shooting. You started shooting anyone you could, Arthur shooting from the building as well.

You watched as O'Driscolls fell to the ground, the same smirk painted across Sadie's face the whole time. Arthur shot a few men that rode in on a wagon. Once it was clear, the three of you ran over to it. You and Dutch sat in the front, Sadie hopping in the back. Dutch looked up at Arthur and waved at him to  get out of there.

"Well, we got him." Dutch said.

"Let's just get out of here." Sadie said, now with a sad look across her face.

You rode out of town, surprisingly no one following you. The ride was quiet, everyone reflecting on what they just witnessed. You would occasionally look over at Dutch, who would just respond with a slight smile and a nod.

You arrived back at camp, everyone scattered doing their own thing. The three of you got off the wagon and walked into camp. Sadie went directly to her bedroll.

"Colm O'Driscoll is dead!" Dutch announced to the camp. You heard a few people clap. Dutch turned to face you.

"It's been a long day, I'm going to head to bed." He said.

"I need to get out of this hideous dress." You chuckled.

"Hey, I think you would make a fine high society woman of Saint Denis." Dutch said before turning to walk to his tent.

You headed to your own tent and changed. You laid down, collecting all your thoughts from the day. At least one of our problems is dealt with