17. no rules in war

~~~~♛~~~~

The camp had been quiet the past few days, ever since the news of Sean's death got around

The camp had been quiet the past few days, ever since the news of Sean's death got around. The group is a family, so it was hard on everyone. Arthur always told you he was like an annoying brother to him, and as much as Karen denied it, she truly loved that boy.

You've spent a lot of time with Charles and Arthur, hunting to provide food for the camp. You were riding in with three beautiful bucks, one on each of your horses, when you saw a group of people standing around Dutch. The three of you shared glances before getting off your horses.

"You two go see what's going on, I got the deer." Charles said to you and Arthur. You both made your way over to the group. Dutch spotted you and quickly walk to you. "Arthur, y/n, have you seen Jack?" He asked frantically.

"No." Arthur replied, you shook your head.

"Where's my son!" Abigail yelled walking up to you. "They took him didn't they?"

"Who took him?" You asked in utter confusion.

"We think the Braithwaite women took him. That Kieran saw a couple of fellers, said they look like Braithwaite boys." Hosea said coming over.

"Where is my son Dutch Van Der Linde?" Abigail said to Dutch.

"We will find him, we will bring him back to you, and we will kill any fool that had the temerity to touch one hair on that boys head. Abigail you have my word." Dutch explained.

"Just get me back my son." She said again.

"I will get that boy so help me god, right now." He said walking off, you and Arthur following.

"Dutch, we just heard about Jack." Bill said walking over with Charles and Lenny. "You need any extra guns?"

"Yeah why not. Micah, Kieran, anyone strange turns up you kill em!" Dutch yelled mounting up. "Rest of you, let's ride!"

A big group rode out of camp. You could tell how angry Dutch was, and how protective he was over Jack. John also looked very worried, which was a surprise as you were used to him avoiding the boy.

"They must of figured out what we was up to Dutch!" Hosea said.

"I swear, I'll kill everyone there!" John yelled.

"Easy John, try to stay calm." Dutch instructed.

"I'm fine." He said with a huff.

The ride was short. As your arrived to the house, you all dismounted and followed Dutch up to the door. You all stood in a line, covering the entire front of the house. You were standing between Arthur and Dutch.

"Get down here now! You inbred trash." Dutch yelled.

"What the hell do you want?" One of the boys asked.

"We've come for the boy. You must known we would." Dutch said to them.

"Shouldn't have messed with our business now." Another boy said to him.

"Whatever complaint you have with us, that is a young boy, that is not the way you do things. Hand him over." Dutch demanded.

"Get the hell off our land!" One boy yells. More men emerged from inside the house.

"If you ain't gonna be civilized about all this..." Dutch said putting his hand on his gun, everyone else doing the same. He fired the first shot, then everyone else started shooting. You took cover behind a crate and continued shooting. The shooting died down when no one else came out of the house.

"Arthur, John, Hosea, y/n, with me. The rest of you stay out here for any new arrivals." Dutch said walking towards the house. Dutch kicked open the doors and instructed you to find Jack and the Braithwaite woman. Dutch grabbed your wrist and looked at you. "Stay with me." He said, you nodded and followed him upstairs. You made your way to a room with the door shut. Dutch tried to open it but something was in the way. He called for Arthur to come up and help. Suddenly there was more shots from outside. Dutch told Arthur and John to go out and help, while you stayed with him and Hosea to try and push in the door. You put yourself between the two men and pushed with all your might. Finally, the thing in front of the door fell, and you tumbled into the room.

John and Arthur were at the other side, just shooting the two men in the room. Dutch made his way to another door and kicked it in, exposing the Braithwaite woman. She yelled as Dutch pulled her out of the room by her arm. "You want me to kill you too old woman?" He said pulling out his gun.

"Where's the boy?" Hosea asked.

"You killed my sons!" The woman yelled.

"Oh and I will surely kill the rest of them unless you start talking." Dutch said to her. When she didn't answer, Dutch grabbed her by the neck and dragged her out of the room, shooting one of the boys on the ground once more, just so she saw. You watched him with an uneasy look on your face, that was a little to much.

She was yelling and kicking as Dutch very roughly dragged her down the stairs by her hair. Arthur turned and noticed the look on your face, the same look you had the day Dutch fought with Molly. He touched your arm for reassurance before walking out behind Dutch, you following. The boys started to set the manor on fire as you walked out. Dutch threw the woman over his shoulder and made his way down to the group. Once there, he through her body on the ground.

"Why did you take the boy Mrs. Braithwaite! Boys are off limits!" Hosea yelled at her.

"Ain't no rules in war Mr..."

"Matthews."

"Yes. Yes that's it." She said looking back to the house.

"Where's the boy." Hosea asked once more.

She sat up, "my sons gave him to Angelo Bronte, so my guess is Saint Denis, or on a boat to Italy."

"Let's go." Hosea said walking away.

"What we doing with her?" Arthur asked.

"Leave her." Dutch instructed. Everyone turned to walk back to the horses except you.

You watched in horror as the woman sobbed, and got up and ran back into the burning house. Yes she was a bad woman, but her sons were just murdered in front of her. A tear fell from you eye. You jumped as a hand touched your shoulder. You turned to see Javier. "Cmon y/n" he said with a sympathetic look. You turned to see everyone waiting with the horses for you and Javier. Dutch watched as you took one for look at the manor that was now engulfed in flames. Javier lightly put his hand on your back and lead you back to the others.

You silently mounted up and followed everyone out. You purposely stayed in the back far from Dutch. Arthur fell back to ride next to you. "He is just protective over Jack, it will be okay." He said, referring to the way Dutch handled the situation. You just nodded silently. The ride back was completely silent, everyone's mind in different places.