33. getting you out

~~~~♛~~~~

You and Arthur rode for a little bit before reaching the waters edge

You and Arthur rode for a little bit before reaching the waters edge. Arthur got down off his horse and made his way over to a log laying on the ground. He chewed at his lip, looking nervous. Your heart raced as you went to sit down next to him, not sure what he was going to say.

"Arthur what the hell is going on?" you asked him.

"Remember how you felt when you first told me about you and Dutch?" Arthur started. You thought back to when you told him, you were nervous as hell and didn't know how to tell him what needed to be said. "Thats what I feel like right now." He continued.

"Are you gonna tell me you have a secret fling with Dutch too?" You asked with a laugh.

He shook his head and chuckled. "Shut up this is supposed to be serious."

"Okay I'm sorry." you said with a smile. You face quickly became more serious. "Whats going on?"

"The one day I went into town..." Arthur started. "I got really sick."

"What do you mean?" you asked him.

"I started coughing really bad, I collapsed and passed out." Arthur explained. You looked up at him with worry on your face. "Someone helped me to the doctor, I can't remember who it was. But the doc said I have Tuberculosis."

"No..." you said so quietly, your surprised Arthur even heard it. Your eyes started to fill up with tears. You knew what it meant. Arthur had been getting worse really fast. Every day he seemed to be getting worse, but you tried to play it off as nothing serious. You knew he didn't have much time left. He wiped your tears away. "Hey, don't do that. Im going to make sure you get out safe, John and his family too."

"But..." you started before Arthur cut you off.

"I know that this gang is all you have, but our time is just about up. We both know how Dutch has been acting. You might have to leave alone." Arthur started to explain. "But you also might be the thing that pulls him out of this. All I know is I'm going to do everything in my power to get you out of this safely."

You sat in silence for a few moments. Arthur was your best friend, your brother. He had always been right by your side throughout your whole time with the gang. He never once questioned you or your ability. You knew that you were outlaws, and you fight death everyday, but this was the last thing you thought would take Arthur.

"You're the first person I wanted to tell, everyone will find out eventually. Don't act any different towards me, just work with me on saving everyone, that's all I ask." Arthur spoke up again.

You looked at him and nodded.

"We should go meet Sadie and get to John before they hang him." Arthur said standing up. You stood and followed him over to the horses. Arthur mounted up, while you stood for a few more moments.

"Whats your plan?" you asked looking up at him.

"We are going in by boat, finding him as quickly as possible, and getting the hell out of there before any of us die." He answered.

"No, I mean to save us." you said, looking back at the ground.

"Oh." He said with a sigh. "Im not to sure yet, but ill figure it out. Lets focus on John for now." He said sympathetically.

"Okay. You ride ahead, Ill meet you there. I just gotta clear my head." You told him. He nodded and headed over to the location Sadie told you to meet her. You watched him ride off and sighed. You would do anything to switch places with him. But he was right, John was the most important thing at the moment.

You mounted up and started to head over to meet Sadie and Arthur. On the ride, your mind wandered to Dutch. You still weren't sure why he didn't want to go save John. He was going to be mad as hell when you brought him back, but you knew going was the right thing to do. John and his family were more important than your relationship.

You also thought back to what Arthur said.

"you might be the thing that pulls him out of this."

You honestly weren't sure if you would be enough to save him anymore. You more than anything wanted to get him out of here and away from all of the crazy, but he was the crazy, and you didn't know how to save him from that.

Lost in thought, you arrive to your destination much more quickly than you anticipated. You rode up to see Abigail and Sadie yelling at each other, and Arthur leaning against a wooden pole watching the whole thing.

"I must come, he's my husband!" Abigail said, looking down at Sadie who was already in the boat.

"I know he's your husband, but its gonna be violent." Sadie responded.

"I can handle myself just fine. Im coming." Abigail said back.

"Like I said, aint happening. You got a boy." Sadie explained.

You looked at Arthur and gave him a "why aren't you stopping this" look. He just shrugged his shoulders.

"I insist!" Abigail continued.

"Insist all you want, aint happening. Arthur, y/n, tell her." Sadie said looking at the two of you.

"Abigail you aint coming, that's the end of the matter." Arthur said walking to the boat.

"He's right. It will be a lot easier to get out with John not having to worry about you." You explained to her.

She let out a sigh, knowing you were right. You got in the boat with Arthur and Sadie. "Im real grateful." Abigail said.

"We know you are. we'll bring him back to you." Sadie said, pushing the boat away from the dock. Arthur took the oars and started to row in the direction of the prison. You watched as Abigail's figure slowly disappeared as you got Arthur and Arthur from shore. You let out a deep breath, praying this would all go well.