6. nightmares

~~~~♛~~~~

"Mom! Dad!"

"Mom! Dad!"

"You better run little girl, or your next."

You shoot up out of your sleep. Your breath was heavy, face paced. This was your first nightmare since joining the Van Der Linde gang. You used to have them a lot when you first were out on your own. They didn't happen as often anymore, but they have become much more real.

Knowing you weren't going back to sleep anytime soon, you stood up and walked to the edge of camp. There was a beautiful view of the mountains from camp. You sat on the edge of the cliff and put you head in your hands. You began to quietly sob. You missed your parents so much. Watching them die was the hardest thing you've ever been through in your life.

You suddenly felt someone sit down next to you. "Miss l/n, what's wrong?" It was Dutch.

"Nightmare, I'll be okay." You said wiping the tears from your eyes.

"I saw you come over... Would you like to talk about it?" He asked.

You sighed. You never told anyone what happened that day. You never got to know someone enough to talk about it. The thought of reliving that day scared the hell out of you, but you would have to tell the story eventually to move past it. "It was about my family. I was fifteen. A group of outlaws came into the house yelling something about owing money, I didn't know what they were talking about. It escalated quickly. I was hiding behind the chair." Dutch watched you intensly while you told the story. "They were killed right there in front of me. I screamed and the men found me. The one grabbed my arm and dragged me out from behind the chair, but I was able to get away before they could hurt me. But the vision of my parents dying wouldn't leave my mind, it still doesn't." You sighed. "You know how you asked if I've every been in love? Well I haven't because the only people I've ever loved were killed right in front of me. I'm to scared to love." You explained.

Dutch put his hand on your leg. His eyes were sympathetic, not his usual mischievous look. He turned to look out over the mountains. "I was in love, her name was Annabelle. I loved that women more than anything. I have been fighting with Colm O'Driscoll for years. I killed his brother, he killed Annabelle. I have never felt that kind of heartbreak before. But I have healed and learned, love helps you grow. I've opened up my heart again and I'm happy again. You never forget about the past, but you deserve to be happy." Dutch explained to you.

You both looked at each other in silence. Neither of you said anything, but you were both grateful for the moment of honesty you had with each other. You felt the pressure lift off your shoulders, you no longer felt so alone. You turned to face the mountains, you slowly rested you head down on Dutches shoulder. He was tense at first, but relaxed quickly. You eyes got heavy and you slowly started to drift off. You felt so comfortable with Dutch, you haven't felt that way with anyone since your parents.