29. he would be proud

~~~~♛~~~~

"Y/n" you heard a voice say, waking you from your sleep

"Y/n" you heard a voice say, waking you from your sleep. Charles was standing in the doorway of the room. "Sadie is all ready to ride out, she doesn't want to waste any time."

"I'll be down in a few minutes Charles." You said sitting up and rubbing your eyes. He nodded and left the room, heading back outside. You must have fallen asleep in Dutch's bed without realizing. You put your boots on and walked over to the mirror in the room. You glanced down at the ring hanging from your necklace. You bit your cheek and tucked it into your shirt. You continued looking at yourself, not feeling quite right. Everyone knew about you and Dutch, and to your knowledge no one was against it, so there was no need to hide the ring. You pulled it back out from your shirt and laid it on top. You smiled before turning and heading outside.

You met Charles and Sadie at the horses. "I heard about a place over in the Bayou. We can't stay for long, but it will give us some extra time." Sadie started to explain.

"Anyone currently there?" You asked.

"I've heard the locals talk about a group of people who live out there, pretty dangerous." Charles chimed in.

"The three of us can handle it." Sadie said, turning to head out of camp. Charles insisted you went in front of him so he was in the back.

"What exactly happened to Hosea and Lenny?" You asked Charles.

"Milton found Hosea and Abigail. She was able to slip away, but Hosea wasn't so lucky. Milton shot him, right there in the street. There was an instant switch in Dutch, never seen anything like it." He started to explain. "John got arrested before we started to run, and Lenny was shot on the roof."

You sighed. "He said no one else would get hurt, now he don't even know where they are."

"We will leave letters just in case they somehow get back." Sadie added.

The ride continued, with conversations about the failed robbery and what the gang would do next. You felt confident that with the help of Sadie and Charles, you could keep the gang together and safe. You arrived at the place Sadie heard about, and got an eerie feeling. The path into the camp was lined with skulls on sticks.

"We should leave the horses here." Charles said riding off the trail. Everyone got off their horses and grabbed their guns. Following Charles, you slowly made your way into camp. There were two men standing on the path into camp.

"I'll get one, y/n can get the other." Charles whispered. You nodded, pulling out your knife. Sadie kept a look out, while you and Charles snuck up and stabbed the men, killing them instantly. "Let's keep moving."

You hid behind two big trees right outside the camp. There were only a few people outside, but plenty more were probably hiding in the cabins. Sadie and Charles both looked at you, waiting for you to take the first shot. You brought up your gun, and took a final breath before shooting. You shot down a man sitting at the fire. Charles and Sadie shot down two more men right after. Men began pouring out of the cabins, guns in hand. "Let's move up!" Sadie yelled.

You made your way into camp, shooting anyone that got in the way. It seemed like no matter how many people were shot, more kept coming.

"Shit!"

Your head snapped to look at Sadie. She was holding her arm as blood started to pour down. You turned to go to her but she told you to keep shooting. You found yourself next to Charles behind two large crates. "This must be the rest of them, let's finish them off." He said. You brought down the last man and silence took over the camp. Your breath slowed as you came off your adrenaline rush. You looked over to Charles.

"Go get everyone from camp, I'll help Sadie and clean this place up." You told him. He nodded and headed out of camp. You walked over to Sadie who was still sitting on the ground holding her arm.

"Here, I got it." You said, ripping the sleeve off your shirt. You rapped it tightly around her arm, hoping the pressure would stop the bleeding. "We can go into town and get it looked at after everyone's settled." You smiled.

"We should get this cleaned up." Sadie said, looking around at all the bodies on the ground.

"Rest your arm, I got it." You said, not taking no for an answer. You stood up and started taking the bodies one by one to the swamp. Once they were all cleaned up, you took a moment to look at the new camp. You wouldn't be able to stay long, but it would hopefully throw off the Pinkertons. You walked back towards Sadie when you heard horses coming down the pathway. Charles led the group into the small camp and they all got off and began unpacking. You helped Pearson get his supplies off the wagon and into one of the cabins. You set one of the crates down and looked at Pearson. He was studying the ring that hung from your necklace, with a small smile.

"We were all so blind. I think back and he made it obvious how much he liked you." Pearson said looking away.

"Not enough to tell anyone." You frowned.

"You know Dutch, he probably wanted this to happen just for a little drama." He laughed. "Just wish he was here to see it." He said, his smile disappearing from his face.

"He'll show up, he always does." You said, trying to lighten the conversation.

"With you, Charles, and Sadie in charge, we will be just fine." He said with a smile. "Thanks for the help."

You turned and walked over to the fire, where Miss Grimshaw was standing.

"I have you in the cabin with the girls." She said, sipping her coffee.

"Thank you." You responded with a smile.

"No, thank you, for helping get this place. Dutch would be proud." She said with a nod. You smiled and walked to the cabin. You took your boots off and laid down on one of the bedrolls. You sighed. You were going to stay positive for the group, you just hoped you could stay positive for yourself.