Chapter 16

The sun shines obnoxiously through the netted curtains of my bedroom. I know I need to get up but I'm quite happy to just lay here for a couple extra minutes.

Today feels different. I don't know how to explain it but the world around me feels as though it's shifted by the slightest degree. Last night Seven touched me. And I touched him. Things spoken and unspoken were shared between us last night and now we can't go back.

However I've recognised a pattern that happens between us whenever we have moments of closeness. It's always one step forward and three steps back with him. He lets himself get close to me and then regrets it pretty much right after it happens and becomes distant. I've noticed his jealousy is what drives him back to me in those moments of detachment and I don't know how to feel about that. The whole "I don't want you but no one else can have you," kind of thing seems to match a lot to his behaviour.

I'm honestly terrified after last night that he's going to be distant from me again. I don't know how I'll deal with it if he does, the guy saw me topless for gods sake.

I know he's not use to something like this, he doesn't seem to care much for the people around him - for anyone really, not even his uncle Victor - so I can understand if he's maybe struggling to understand his own feelings and the situation. And I know what we're doing is against the rules for him which also might be causing him to second guess things.

I don't even know what I want out of this situation with him. It's not like we can be together even if we wanted to. I work at the club and it's not allowed for us to be together but also Seven's requirements for his position within their organisation prohibits him from even getting close to someone.

The stupid, naive part of me is hopeful though. She daydreams about kissing Seven, going on dates with him, holding his hand. While the other, more logical and instinctively protective part of me has every alarm in the building going off. Seven and his situation alone are a big red flag that I should be staying clear of. I still don't understand enough about the work he does with his uncle, I don't know much about Seven's life outside of the club at all. I don't really even know Seven.

"Ugh." I grab my pillow and throw it over my head. I wish shit wasn't so complicated. I wish I met Seven under more amicable circumstances. Bumping into him in a coffee shop, or having a class together at university. Things would be much easier and less complicated. I could get to know him as the person he is and I wouldn't be second guessing if my interest in him was solely based on fleeting attraction.

A banging on my apartment door has me springing up out of bed in one swift movement. Who the fuck is banging on my door at ten in the morning on a Friday? There's another loud banging on my door and it makes me jump. It sounds more as if someone is kicking at my door and my heart rate spikes slightly. I walk cautiously to the door, waiting for another round of loud knocks. It's times like this I wish I had a peep hole, instead I press my ear to the door to see if I can hear anything on the other side that might give me some clue as to who is trying to kick in my door and why.

My head is against the door when the next round of loud bangs crash against it. It's definitely someone kicking my door.

"Who is it?" I call out from the door.

"It's me bitch hurry up and open the door!" Mesha's voice speaks from the other side and I suspire in relief and unlock the door.

"Oh my god you scared the shit out of me." I tell her as she carries in two large take away coffees in her hands. Now I understand why she was kicking the door instead of knocking.

"Sorry I knew you'd still be asleep so I wanted to be loud." Mesha gives me an apologetic bright smile showing her teeth and hands me one of the large hot drinks.