Chapter 38

When I pull up outside my apartment I'm surprised not to see Seven's SUV parked anywhere along the street. He usually meets me after my shift at the liquor store to stay the night with me. We haven't spent a night apart since the first night he ever stayed with me. For some reason I hope to see him waiting outside my door but am disappointed when the hallway is empty.

I shower, change and then check my phone for any communication from Seven.

Nothing.

He hadn't mentioned anything about tonight being any different than our usual routine. Maybe something came up? I would hope he'd have the decency to tell me though if that were the case. But maybe it hasn't crossed his mind to let me know he won't be coming over.

Maybe I should text him, just in case something is wrong?

No. No Lily just give him some space. I convince myself and drop my phone to my bed. He's fine and probably just wants some space, like I said we have been spending every night together recently so maybe space is what he wants...

But what if there is something wrong? What if Victor has found out about him and I and Seven's in some kind of trouble?

I scramble to retrieve my phone once again and call his number immediately, abandoning any thoughts of rational space.

"'Ello?" Seven answers on the first ring and my heart picks up at the sound of his voice, though the tension in my shoulders dissipates from that familiar low, slow voice.

"Hi." I peep, voice high. I haven't actually thought about what I was going to say to him. He answered so quickly it's thrown me off a bit.

"I was, um, well I was just ringing because you weren't waiting outside when I got home like usual - not, not that you had to be here waiting for me or anything. I was just wondering if everything was okay?" I fumble over my words as gracefully as a giraffe in roller skates; comically terrible.

"Yeah sorry somethin' ... something came up. You okay?" He asks me. There's something off in the way he's speaking. I can't put my finger on it.

"Yes, yes I'm fine." I assure him.

"Good." He answers and the line goes quiet between us.

"Are you okay?" I decide to ask.

"I uh, well yeah, yeah I'll be okay." He says and his choice of words make me frown. His words slur together too fluidly than usual.

"Did something happen?" I question.

"It's nothing, m' fine." He brushes me off but the worry begins to build in my stomach. Nervous knots begin to wined around each other at his defensiveness.

"Are you drunk?" I pick out that drunken slur in his words.

"So? Is that a problem?" His tone changes completely, turning bitter.

"No, of course not. I just know you don't usually get drunk." I keep a gentle way with my words, not wanting to irritate him. I have a feeling his bitterness is drawn from his own disappointment in himself for getting wasted and not at me. He doesn't reply to me.

"Seven, what happened to make you drink?" Did Victor find out about us?

"It's seriously nothing Lilianna don't worry." He tries his best to convince me, changing the tone of his voice to sound a little more upbeat than before, trying a new approach to brushing me off.

"If it's nothing, you can tell me what it is then." I insist and he's quiet on the other end of the line again.

"Seven?" I ask with no reply. I can hear him breathing so I know he's still on the phone with me.