Chapter 32

I can no longer hear Seven's low voice carrying through the wall, he must no longer be on the phone. I straighten up from pressing my ear to the door of my bedroom and brush my palms over the night shirt I've put on. It's very similar to the one from last night, I sleep in a lot of old baggy t-shirts. The well worn cotton is soft and they're exceptionally comfortable.

I should go out there, I should've been sitting with him in the lounge about five minutes ago when I finished dressing after my shower. But I am nervous. A decision was to be made while getting changed and a daring conclusion was met; to wear a bra or not - I chose the latter. I don't usually wear a bra to bed, and last night I didn't wear one while sharing a bed with him. But tonight is different than last night. Tonight it is planned that he'll be staying and so my choice in not wearing a bra is very deliberate.

Whether Seven even notices the difference of my wearing of undergarments or not is still to be deliberated but I for one will know. And the decision of not wearing one seemed fine in my braveness of getting dressed but now here I stand at my closed door fretting over it.

Maybe I should change?

No. No, Lily stop being a coward and just go out there. After the afternoon I've had this shouldn't be such the dilemma it is.

With a deep breath I twist the handle and exit my bedroom. Eyes finding Seven right away, he's stood with his back to me as he admirers my book collection again. I take his distracted moment to take in his perfect self. Even with his back to me he is attractive. Broad shoulders hugged in his black button up, the sleeves pushed up his strong forearms showing off the inked artworks covering most of his left arm in that same patchwork layout as his torso. Narrow hips and long legs covered in tight black jeans. I don't know what I prefer him wearing; his black jeans, the black slacks or his sweatpants. Whatever he wears he always looks enticing.

I pad quietly over to him.

"See any you like?" I ask once I'm standing beside him. Seven snaps his head down at me startled by my presence but composes himself quickly.

"Erm, that one. The cover looks cool." He answers, pointing to the well worn beige book.

"Orpheus and Eurydice." I smile, impressed by his choice.

"What and what?" Seven chuckles and I roll my eyes playfully.

"Orpheus and Eurydice, it's actually one of my favourite stories. Kind of tragic though." I admit and pull the book from the shelf.

"What is it about?" He steps a little closer to me to look at the book in my hands over my shoulder.

"Orpheus." I point to the man on the cover with a crown of myrtle and ivy leaves.

"Was the son of the god Apollo. Orpheus had a special talent playing his lyre."

"What's a lyre?" Seven interjects.

"It's like a small harp. It was said Orpheus was able to bewitch any being with his playing. And so on returning after a quest for the Golden Fleece with Jason and the Argonauts, Orpheus' meets a wood nymph. Eurydice." I explain and point to the female draped in white silk on the cover.

"Eurydice, just like every other being and beast, could not resist the lure of Orpheus' music and in turn, Orpheus could not resist Eurydice's beauty. So they fell deeply in love." I'm overly aware of Seven's gaze set on my face as he listens intently to the story.

"They marry but it's predicted by Hymenaios - the god of marriage that their marriage won't last long. Not long after this prophecy, Eurydice is in the forest dancing with her wood nymph friends when she's bitten by a snake. Sadly, Eurydice dies leaving Orpheus completely distraught." I open the book and flip to the page displaying an oil painting of the moment of sorrow. With Orpheus holding a dead Eurydice in his arms.