Chapter 44

SEVEN'S POV

Curby's fingers drum annoyingly against the car steering wheel as we wait for the mark to come out of the building.

"You sure she's even in there?" He questions me.

"Yeah, she's in there." I've watched and studied this woman's movements for days. And lucky for me, she is a creature of habit.

"We've been here for half an hour man and there's been nothing." Curby whines.

"The meetings go for forty five minutes, she'll be out soon enough." I assure him.

"So what's the game plan? Cause I don't think snatching her right outside her office is a wise move." He asks.

"We're not gonna jump her." I lean forward and open up the glove box, retrieving the black ear piece.

"Did you even read the file? Victor said—"

"I know what he said and I know what's in the file but we're not doing it that way." I interrupt him and put the prop in my ear.

"What is that?" Curby asks.

"We're posing as her security. So I can talk to her." I explain and Curby gapes at me.

"Talk to her? Are you mad?"

"No. But I'm not breaking the rules to hurt an innocent." I look at Curby, daring him to challenge me on this, to my surprise he does.

"An innocent? This women is a threat to all of us."

"And there are ways to gain her silence and trust without violence." I point out to him.

"Look Sev, I know you're just trying to do what's right by our laws but if you haven't realised already, Victor hasn't been following the old laws for some time."

"So where does it stop Curby?" I shout, taking us both by surprise.

"Where does it stop, huh? Where does "doing the job" end and becoming a fucking monster start? Don't you see that's why those laws were in place? To protect not only the innocent but ourselves?" I don't know why I'm getting so emotional about this, I'm sure it's throwing Curby off too.

"Victor's orders are to kidnap this woman and beat her into submission. But what's next? Kill her? Her family? Her children? You know that's where this is heading, Victor already has no problem with it. Are you seriously going to sit there and justify murdering a child because Victor ordered you to? Because that's what's coming." I warn him and Curby looks away from me with a pissed off frown.

"Of course I wouldn't kill a kid." He grouches, almost offended by me insinuating he might.

"Well Victor got those kids on the plantation killed. Made that little girl watch her father get tortured. He's starting to condition us, beating a women today, killing another later on. Till we go too far and lose what little morality we have left." I explain. I've realised over these last months the transition of my uncles power. He is becoming more brazen with his ways of gaining it, and yet still he is unsatisfied. I fear he will never stop.

It is brave but unwise of me to openly talk so defiantly against Victor, but if it were to be with anyone, Curby would understand. Curby looks back at me, his blue eyes hard to read.

"You sure this will work?" He asks, referring to my plan.

"No but I have to try." I admit and he just nods.

I look out to the building, waiting for our marks departure.

"You're changing, y'know." Curby comments and I turn to him.