Chapter 88

LILIANNA'S POV

Have you ever experienced those completely frustrating moments while watching a horror film, when you're sitting on the couch yelling at the girl on screen to not walk down to the dark, creepy basement? Or when the protagonist is so slow at reacting to the immediate danger coming for them, and they just stand there and watch it come for them for far too long before they eventually begin to start running? Well, I have. And it would wind me up about how stupid they seemed because I knew if that were me on screen, I wouldn't go down to the dark basement and I would run as soon as I sensed danger.

I thought I would anyway, until I drunkenly walked down those dark basement steps in the strip club. And now here I stand, with my feet firmly cemented to the ground as my friend screams for me to run. I want to run, believe me I do, but I can't. My feet won't move, I wonder that if I'm still enough whatever danger that is coming will not notice me. But I know that's just stupid thinking.

"Lily!" Mesha screeches again before a loud thud echos from the entrance where she is, followed by heavy, booted footsteps quickly making their way through the entrance hall. Like a low kick drum they pound throughout the mansion, a countdown to my very own horror story.

When I see the unknown man round the corner, I know exactly where he's come from. The suit gives it away and I realise Seven's uncle has finally caught on to us. When the man spots me standing like a stunned gazelle in the lions den he pauses for a second, a hauntingly sick smile rips across his face and I swallow down the heart fluttering panic trying to choke me.

"Get off me you bitch!" Mesha's voice yells from behind him. I feel relieved at hearing her voice still fighting but I can hear the scuffle and the fight she's holding up and note that there is more than one intruder. The one in the living area with me is of a large build, I have no fucking chance against him in a physical fight. As if he can sense me realising I've already lost this fight he smirks at me.

"Come on now. Nice and easy." He has a thick northern accent, as his hands motion for me to approach him. Mesha screams loudly behind him causing my panic to rise once again. Someone is hurting her and she needs help. I need to help her. But first I have to figure out how the fuck I'm going to get this retired rugby player guy out the way.

I check my footing, lightly lifting one foot off the ground and then the other, making sure they're no longer stuck to the floor. There are few options I have here; make a run for an exit which would leave Mesha here to fend for herself, try get to her car and drive away. I don't have her car keys, and I definitely don't want to leave my friend here. Not an option. I could run upstairs, only for this man to run after me and then what? Lock myself in a bathroom and wait till his boot finally breaks down the door? Again, not an option. I could run to the kitchen and grab something to defend myself with, like perhaps a knife. Though the kitchen is on the other side of the man and I'd have to somehow run around him to get to it. He probably has a gun anyway, I can't bring a knife to a gun fight. Not an option.

With mere seconds left to deliberate what to do, I whittle my options down to the only one that gives me any sense of a chance against this man.

"Don't even think about run-" He begins but my feet don't follow his instructions. I run, as quick as I can manage against the polished marble floors to the cupboard in the hallway. The one I found while snooping around in Seven's house when I first came here. The linen cupboard stacked with weapons. I can hear the man hot on my tracks, his boots echo loudly as he runs after me, their beat almost matching the rapid thudding in my chest. Desperately I throw the cupboard door open and grab the first gun I see. A small handgun similar to the one Seven had taught me to shoot in the warehouse.