Chapter 79

LILIANNA'S POV

My Uber pulls up to the location of the tavern Mesha sent me to meet her at. From the street I can't see any tavern, but the driver assures me where at the right place.

I spot the address painted to the side of a red brick wall of an older looking building, the numbers match the address in Mesha's text. The store front looks abandoned and empty but a dim yellow light illuminates a concrete stairwell down the side of the building. I hug my coat tighter to me and take the steps down the alleyway-like stairs. The smell of cigarette smoke hits me immediately and I'm greeted by a tall man at the entrance. A cigarette hangs from his mouth and moves with his lips as he asks me,

"You got ID on you?" His voice is gravelled from years of smoking.

"Yes of course." I reach into my bag but the guy begins to laugh.

"I'm just kidding, in you go." He pulls the door open for me and the brighter lights of inside the tavern welcomes me inside.

There's a haze about the room from the various cigarettes being smoked inside. I make a mental note to soak my clothes for the smell and wonder why Mesha has asked to meet at a place like this. A huge sign, made to look like the same destination signs at the train station, hangs above the bar reading Jet Street Tavern. It's an odd name considering the street we're on is not called Jet Street.

A stags head is mounted on the far wall, overlooking the couple pool tables near the back of the place. A colourful jute box in the corner blasts an old rock tune I don't recognise but an older couple bob along to it together on the cleared flooring space by the pool tables. I slip my coat off and immediately worry that I seem slightly overdressed for the place. My black dress gives off the illusion of modesty with its long arms but the tight fit and shoulderless cut its subtly sexy. There are few patrons in the bar making it easy to spot Mesha in her elegant white crop shirt and stone wash jeans, and I feel a little less uncomfortable seeing she too stands out in this place with her outfit choice.

Although this isn't my usual scene I feel oddly relaxed here in the basement bar

Although this isn't my usual scene I feel oddly relaxed here in the basement bar. When Mesha spots me making my way over to the table she sits at she stands from her tall chair waiting somewhat awkwardly for my approach.