Chapter 92

SEVEN'S POV

The smell of aged liquor soaked and settled deep into musty, old carpets hits as soon as I open the door of the club. The smell of this places stale, unwashed carpets is always worse when there are no other smells to overpower it. Pugs stands near the bar of the club, my eyes like a hawk surveying the establishment to find my uncle.

"He's in the basement with Digger." Pugs informs me after scuttling across the club floor to my side.

"What's the plan?" He asks next.

"Who else is here?" I look around the club.

"Just us, maybe a couple girls outback. Grim is on his way." He answers and I nod.

"He came alone?" I ask and Pugs nods.

"He's looking for Koda, I didn't know what to say but Digger distracted him with the guy we've got downstairs." I can see the sweat lining Pugs hairline. I forget sometimes, the sheer fear my uncle has instilled in these men.

"Who's down there?" I ask.

"One of Sergey's guys. They've had him here for a day or so questioning him on intel." Pugs answers.

"When they're out I want you and Digger to leave and sweep the place. Take the guy with you. Sergey and his men are no longer a problem for us." I instruct.

"You want us to leave?" Pug asks confused, his eyes slightly wide and I nod.

"We can help you Seven. We want to." Pugs assures me but I shake my head.

"If this doesn't go well, Victor won't hesitate to kill anyone who he thinks helped me. I will take him alone." I speak just as the creaking sound of the heavy basement door is opened behind us. I nod to Pug and he scampers off, tail between his legs. Digger is first out the basement door, his eyes find me standing in the middle of the club right away. I nod my head to the side, silently directing him to follow after Pugs. Digger returns a discreet nod back in understanding of my request. He walks off after Pugs, both heading into the back area I just came from.

My heart picks up when he steps into the room. Brand new black shoes, shined bright so the light reflects perfectly off the polished leather. Tailored black suit, black fitted shirt and matching black tie as tight as a choker around his neck. Victor's facial hair is cropped close to his face, greying hair perfectly manicured. If you were to pass him on the street you would not look twice at the dangerous man. He'd blend in with the usual penguin looking businessmen on Main Street, milling about their day worrying about investments, money, whether their wives had caught onto their affairs with their college interns and their cutthroat business dealings. Yes, my uncle would blend in well with that crowd, that is, till his lips pull back to reveal his teeth in his attempt of a smile, gold tooth catching the light. It is not till my uncle smiles that you can pick out something sinister lurking beneath the mere flesh of the man. Victor's smile doesn't meet his dark, piercing eyes. Not a spec of light reflecting in them, not an ounce of human decency swims in their depth. His smile sends a subtle shiver down my spine, hard eyes meeting mine.

"Seven. What a surprise it is to see you here my dear nephew." Victor remarks, coming to a stop about six metres in front of me. His first words to me are lies, I can tell he isn't surprised. He knew I'd come to find him eventually.

"What are you doing here?" I ask, attempting to seem oblivious and conversational. My middle finger digs into my palm, a vice to channel the anger merely seeing him brings me. Victor is trying to seem relaxed, and he'd succeed if he were trying to fool anyone else but me. But I've known this man my entire life, learning all his tricks for deception and lies. His shoulders are squared as he stands tall, an adroit concealment for the tension they're stuck in.