Chapter 57

SEVEN'S POV

It's been four weeks of me living in this dusty shit hole in the middle of nowhere, but today is my escape. Finally Victor has given me a new job across country. It'll be nice to be in a city setting again and be able to wash myself in an actual shower instead of a fucking sink. Be able to shave off the itchy hairs growing around my jaw.

A car will be here soon to pick me up from this desolate place and take me to the airport. I grab the butter knife from the side of the kitchen bench and use the flat edge to divide up three perfect lines on the kitchen bench. I block one nostril and quickly inhale the powder, it burns the inside of my nose immediately bringing me an immediate comfort. With a wiggle of my nose and another decent inhale I feel the residue clump build in the back of my throat and swallow it down. The familiar drip begins and I lick the pad of my finger and wipe it over the very fine fragments still left on the bench. Collecting it on my finger I rub it into my gums before leaving the kitchen.

The black SUV arrives not long after and I sit in the back of it quietly lost in my high. I don't talk to the guy driving even when he tries to converse with me. My dark sunglasses shade my red burning eyes from the outside world and I'm grateful for the privacy of the jet instead of a normal commercial flight. There's nothing I would hate more right now then being stuck in a huge flying metal bullet with annoying ass people and crying babies. I'd rather drip acid in my ears then listen to that shit.

Once boarded the jet I go straight into the tiny bathroom to rack up some more rails as the ones from this morning have worn off. Much to my delight the minibar is stocked and I help myself to various tiny bottles of spirits. We've been in the air all but thirty minutes and I'm already loaded, completely drunk and high and it feels amazing. The substances completely numb my mind and body and I don't have to do anything exceptionally hard to feel this way. It's been a great distraction for the thoughts my mind keeps trying to throw at me. The memories that haunt my dreams. Being this way helps me sleep, well the limited amount of sleep I get anyway. But it's completely blissful if I'm wasted, I don't remember anything when I wake up. The few times I've tried to sleep without numbing myself my dreams are always plagued by her.

A few hours drinking on the jet and I arrive at my new city of residence for the next however long. I check my phone for the instructions on where to be picked up from when a familiar voice calls out my name.

"Sev! Over here!" Curby yells from a car in the pick up bay outside the airport. I'm a little surprised to see him, I hadn't realised he would be here and I haven't seen him since that awful day when Victor arrived at the cocoa farm. I throw my backpack into the backseat and climb into the front. Curby smiles over at me when I glance at him through my shades, is he expecting some kind of heartfelt greeting or some shit? If he is he's mistaken to think he'd get one from me. He's dressed in his usual dark blue suit, hair nicely combed back and his face completely healed from the beating he took a month ago because of me. I dig into my dirty black jeans and pull out my pack of cigarettes and lighter.

"Hello to you too, man." Curby says sarcastically at my cold reception. I light my cigarette and crack the window open as he pulls out onto the road to leave the airport car park. I can feel his eyes on me every so often as I stay silent and puff on the cigarette.

"Jesus Christ, what did you do? Bathe in fucking liquor? You stink of booze." Curby cringes.

"I had a couple drinks on the flight." I shrug and flick the ash from my cigarette.

"Yeah and what else? You look like shit man." Curby says with an edge of concern which amuses me for some reason.

"Are you going to lecture me the entire drive? Cause if so I'd rather walk." I say flatly.