Chapter 21

Jeremy obnoxiously hums along to the song playing on the radio in the background of the liquor store, while I try drown him out and take my time sweeping the floors.

Today has been slow, but so have all of the days. The club has been boring without Seven. Of course there have been interesting customers to hassle me every now and then to break up my shifts. It's nothing I can't handle yet a part of me waits for Seven to jump in to intervene somehow. But he never does, because he isn't there.

When he told me he would be away for a week I had assumed he'd be back at the club the following week but he never showed. At first I was worried, maybe something bad had happened while he was out working for his uncle. But after talking with Kitty last night she reminded me it's standard practice for Seven to disappear for weeks at a time. When I suggested something might be wrong she assured me everyone would know if something had happened to Seven. I took comfort in that and in the fact that Kitty seems to have an understanding of my interest in Seven. She doesn't question it, or ask me about it. She just knows something is going on between us and I suppose she's had that inclination since she caught him touching himself to my underwear.

It's been thirteen days since I last saw Seven at that night club. Thirteen days and twelve restless nights dreaming of his lips against mine. Of a parallel universe where I didn't go back to the hotel with Mesha that night and instead went home with Seven.

"You tryna sweep the tiles off the floor, Lil?" Jeremy disturbs my thoughts, bringing me back from my fantasies and to the liquor store.

I look up to Jeremy, confused by his words.

"You've been sweeping that same spot for five minutes. Something on your mind?" Jeremy asks, leaning against the refrigerators.

"Uh n-no was just daydreaming." I shake my head and let out a breathed laugh. Embarrassed to be caught zoning out.

"Listen Lil, I know it's been a rough couple of months for ya," Jeremy begins and adjusts his cap in discomfort for the deep and meaningful conversation I think he's trying to initiate.

"What with your grandma and uni so I just wanted to say that if you ever need to talk to someone, I'm always here. I don't know how much help I can be but I've got good ears on me so don't hesitate to use 'em." Jeremy says and I smile gratefully at him. I know Jeremy isn't the soft type so hearing him say this is a lot for both me and him.

"Thanks Jer. I think I'm okay though. Well I'm definitely getting there anyway." I shrug.

"I'm sure you are kiddo, but I just thought I'd put it out there for you." Jeremy looks sideways, clearly feeling awkward for the kind words he feels obligated to tell me but I couldn't be more thankful for them.

"It means a lot, so thanks Jeremy." I blink at the extra moisture building in the corner of my eyes.

"Yeah yeah well you better get back to work. I don't pay you to daydream and sweep one spot all afternoon." He waves off the mushy moment and goes right back to the Jeremy I know and I laugh before going and putting the broom away.

When I get to my shift at Club Venus it's expectantly packed for another Friday night. I get changed into my outfit for the night. A red velvet two piece that I brought while out with Mesha last weekend. She helped me pick out a range of outfits after I finally told her I'd been promoted to work as a server. I was adamant on only getting ones that still covered me, but I suppose they still left little to the imagination.

Penny always waves at me from the stage while she dances, and my new nickname Cashmere has seemed to catch on with everyone I work with, even with Kitty. She no longer calls me Lips - thank god.