Chapter 87

SEVEN'S POV

"Some of you will know why I've asked you here today, and others may have their suspicions." The bar is silent as I deliver my speech. The men stay quiet, numerous sets of eyes train on me with every few steps I take slowly back and forth.

"Well I will tell you brothers. I have gathered you here to ask you what the future we face, standing here today looks like to you?" The room stays quiet, no one answering.

"For generations my blood family has led this gang, this brotherhood. For generations we have protected each other, become a family of our own for those left without, a family for those society has cast out. And for generations we served, protected by laws created to sanctify this family. Laws that stopped us becoming the monsters society had accused us of. For generations my blood family has protected you. Until now." I'm grateful to have every single man's unwavering attention on me. They know this is important and what I'm about to tell them may change a lot of things around here for the better.

"My uncle has been ignoring those old laws. Those laws were what held us together and what held us responsible. But of course Victor would not want to follow them. Why would he? When those laws prove him to be nothing but a murdering conspirator!" My voice raises and a few of the men lean in at my level.

"Victor is a traitor! Most of you here tonight will remember what it was like to work under my fathers rule. Ivan led with those old laws as his advisory. He stood for fairness, he stood for litigation, he stood for this brotherhood. My father stood for everything Victor despises. Which was why Victor murdered my father and framed his best friend for it." The collected intake of breath around the bar feels like it completely sucked all of the air out the room. My chest feels slightly tight but saying the words out loud, finally telling these men the truth not only about my fathers death but Lilianna's fathers innocence feels light a weight off of me. The murmuring buzz around the room begins as the initial silent shock fades off.

"I found out the truth. And I think it's a truth you all need to know. My father would want you to know who his killer really was. My mother would want you to know who her killer really was. And so would Jacob and Evangelina Costello. Victor murdered every and anyone in the way of his plot for power. Including an attempt on the Costello's six year old daughter. An innocent. By the old laws the killing of an innocent was punishable by death. How many lives does Victor get to take? And how many life sentences does he get to escape? The murder of my father, his own flesh and blood was just the beginning for him. Victor is already leading us down his same path and do you really think, a man who killed his own brother, would stand up for any of you? Do you think a man who swore his alliance to my father would hesitate to kill any of you if it meant getting what he wanted? How many innocents are being killed at his order? How many women and children are being murdered in his quest for power? He got power, he became Don. He got what he wanted, but he hasn't stopped! He won't ever stop! For far too long Victor has ignored the foundations of this firm. For too long he's abused the brotherhood on his quest for power." My fists are balled at the anger my words are firing up inside of me. The same anger reflected in eyes of the men staring back at me. I can see it, the flame flickering inside each of them. A single flame being fanned by my words, collectively burning into a slow blaze. Someone's boot bashes against the wooden floor, before another then another. Soon the entire bar is stomping in a loud rhythmic beat, the stomps are our equivalent of an applause and I nod in appreciation.

"So I ask you today my brothers, for your support. Will you stand with me?" I yell over the stomps that grow louder after my question. Many grunts and cheers alike sound in agreement.

"Will you follow me, as I take my rightful place as Don?" The men get louder with each question, the energy in the room bouncing off every wall to charge us up even more. When they begin chanting my name I know I've succeeded and a proud smile forms on my mouth, the same smile that Grim, Curby and Hyde all have as they stand to my side.