Chapter 67

LILIANNA'S POV

"But my question to you is, as our next generation of historians and history scholars do you believe today's age of cancel culture is similar to any previous trials and tribulations of social history?" Professor Powell asks the lecture theatre.

Without hesitation, and to no bodies surprise Alec's hand raises.

"Yes, Alec." The professor nods for his opinion.

"Absolutely sir. If anything I think today's cancel culture is something like a modern day Salem witch trial. A person can be considered an influential individual one day and be burnt at the stake socially the next." Alec vomits up his personal opinion as if it's fact and the people around him nod and agree while I roll my eyes.

"An interesting take." Professor Powell nods and scratches his beard. Fueled by my annoyance of everyone's blind fondness of Alec my hand raises.

"Miss Kapley?" Professor Powell seems surprised by my rare contribution to the discussion.

"Quite the contrary." I begin and look over at Alec who turns his full attention to me, the smug look on his face only fuels my incoming argument.

"To compare witch trials to that of today's cancel culture is absurd. You of all people should know, Alec, accused witches were never actually burnt at the stake in Salem. There were convicted witches burnt at the stake in Europe. But the Salem Witch trials began in sixteen ninety-two which predated the standard judicial procedures we know today. They were convicted and sentenced otherwise but not by burning at the stake. As for the comparison, today's age simply holds an expectation of how one conducts themselves. For the last hundred years we have completely changed our social hierarchy, putting celebrities and much lesser persons up on pedestals to be worshiped as if they were gods or creatives that actually contributed to the progress of our society. Someone can be a nobody one day and become a famous millionaire overnight with one viral video and be given a platform they may not deserve. People these days have the right to both give someone a platform and take it away given they don't suit the standard or characteristics of a respectable luminary. It's a fast day and age, so of course that change can happen over night. But to compare an educated and accountable generation with that of superstitious, uneducated and irrational people of that era is unfounded. At least cancel culture victims are accused with solid evidence which is much more than you can say for any of the women accused of witchcraft." I can feel everyone in the lecture halls eyes flick between Alec and myself and I indulge in the agreeing claps and few snickers that echo through the silent room as I put Alec in his place.

"An excellent reflection there Lilianna. A true historian always remembers the facts." Professor Powell beams, clearly enjoying my debate and ignoring my snarky tone directed at Alec.

Alec himself turns back to face the Professor, he does not bother to indulge me further and in fact looks slightly embarrassed to have spouted off his opinion for once. Take that you prick. I bite my bottom lip to stop me from grinning in victory and flick my pen between my fingers satisfied with the outcome.

When the bell rings and Professor Powell releases us from class I pack my things and slip out the lecture theatre, careful to avoid Alec in case he tries to speak to me. I'm sure he's not pleased with me but I don't care, though I'm also not keen to brunt any indifference he may have against me because of my little stunt in class.

It's uncharacteristically warm for this time of year and I'm thankful it isn't raining as I walk through campus. The leaves in the trees are beginning to brown, some species are already naked in preparation for the winter. I fiddle with the sleeves of my black top as I walk, pulling the blue trim down to stretch past my knuckles. Collecting my hair from around my shoulders I tie it in a simple bun to stop it from blowing in my face as I walk.