Chapter 15

Several minutes later, I discovered the door Talen had escorted me to yesterday in order to speak with Ryver about the job. I'm terrified, my throats bobbing as my hands tighten around one another and I feel my pulse begin to beat loudly throughout my body.

I rapidly knock on the large doors, hearing male voices streaming out of them but unable to make out what is said. After a few seconds, the doors swing open and I saw Liam poking his head out.

"Yes?" His snarling voice pierces my ears, and my already anxious body is on the verge of collapsing; I've been terrified of males for years, and the thought of how many guys sit beyond this door causes my heart to stop in my chest from the panic coursing through it.

"I need to apologize to Ryver, I'm very sorry-" I begin to scramble out words quickly, attempting to construct the correct ones on my tongue.

"We're going to have church," he growls as I notice him begin to close the door, but I swiftly raise my hand to stop him.

"Church? I apologize for interrupting your prayer time, but I'd really like to chat with Ryver before Laura and I go shopping." I say gently as I become aware that all discussion in the room has ceased.

"Oh shit brothers, She is unaware that she is intruding on church time. She believes we are about to fucking prey "A large growly voice from within the room chuckles.

"Did you just fucking laugh, Slade?" Asked a voice I knew as Tracer's, his words ringing with disbelief.

"Fuck off brother, that chicks funny," he snarls as I jump back from the door.

"Ouch, you fucker, you didn't need to push my chair back, asshole," Tracer grunts.

"Both of you, shut the fuck up. Liam Come sit down, I'll speak with Ashley and explain things to her, and then we'll resume church." Ryver grunts as I hear a chair scrape against the wall, and a few seconds later, he replaces Liam's body in the doorway and loudly closes the door behind him.

"Ashley, please allow me to quickly explain something to you. You are not permitted to interrupt while we are in church, and no one is permitted to enter unless something harmful is taking place. Church is also not a true church; it is what we refer to as a club meeting "With his hard gaze on my face, he growls out as he leans up against the doorframe.

When I say "I'm sorry," I'm pulling my bottom lip into my mouth and chewing on it nervously. "I'm sorry I didn't know, I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to knock," I say softly.

"It's alright; just make sure it doesn't happen again. What exactly were you wanting to say?" He inquired, folding his arms across his chest, appearing to be upset by the interruption but yet intrigued by the situation.

"I just wanted to say how sorry for all that I said in the kitchen, and I appreciate you wanting to keep me safe from my husband. I should not have spoken to you in such a disrespectful manner in front of the men." I say this softly while standing still, not really moving because I don't know what else to say. I'd been so enraged at him for saying no that I'd completely lost all control over my emotions and behavior.

"I'm not like your husband Ashley; I don't want to control you; I just don't like the idea that your husband might find you and hurt you even more than he already has." He replies softly as he wraps his arms around me, bringing me a little bit closer to him while still allowing me some breathing room.

"I know you're not like Dan, and I apologize if I've given you the impression that you are. It's just that I haven't really done anything for myself in a long time, and coming here to hunt for a job to improve my life is all I'm attempting to do at the moment." I say it in hushed tones, feeling terrible for making him think I don't appreciate everything he has done for me when, in reality, I am extremely thankful.

"Can we please put an end to all this bullshit? Though I do find it incredibly fucking sexy when your fussing at me," he said with a grin on his face.

"Of course you would," I say, rolling my eyes to the back of my head in response to his remark. He's such a sexist jerk.

"How about I give you your money for this week early so you and Laura can go shopping for more than just groceries and have a little girl's day." He says this as he pulls his wallet from his back pocket.

"Oh, no, that's fine. I'm not in need of anything-" I hurry to add that I don't like feeling like a charity case; yes, I don't have much to my name other than a rusted old car and a few changes of clothing, but that's more than enough for me right now because I know what it took to get out of that toxic violent marriage.

"Just take it. This is how you can say your sorry" He grunts and pulls out about a bunch of 100 dollar bills.

"Taking it would be like I'm saying thank you? How?" I asked with a curious expression on my face, that doesn't sound right. I should be the one offering him something for being so ungrateful.

"Yeah. Me and the boys have a bunch of club stuff to go over in the meeting so you and Laura being out of here so nothing is over heard would be you thanking me." He smiles and hands over the money and I slowly raise my hand to take it from me.

"Oh okay well thank you again I appreciate everything you have done for me and don't forget to not pay me at the end of the week because I won't accept it." I smile at him before telling him goodbye and letting him get back to the meeting.