Chapter 34

One hour later Laura and I finally ditched Ace, which was not easy let me tell you. She had to zigzag all over the back roads before we finally lost him due only to the fact that a man in a truck had pulled out in front of him, leaving him no other choice but to stop.

We wanted to avoid being rude and ditch him at first, but we knew as soon as we looked at apartments, Ace was going to inform the boys at the clubhouse, and they would have all been breathing fire down on us.

Mostly Ryver and Tracer.

Definitely Ryver.

He would not be happy to know what I'm doing. Oh yeah, absolutely not pleased at all. Laura suggested we turn off our cell phones, knowing full well that they would try to call us and possibly track one of us.

Tracer is the hacker of the group, so I'm almost positive that he would be tracking Laura as quickly as he was able, and we didn't want our plan to go get ruined before we looked at our first apartment.

“Here, I finally found one,” Laura says with a huff as soon as she slides back into her driver's seat. We spent the last ten minutes looking for a newspaper. “I was nervous that one of the boys was out looking and would spot me”

A newspaper.

You would think something like that would be easy to find, but apparently not.

I mean, what does Ryver think I'm going to do? Just stay there? He and I are not together, he made that painfully clear to me, so why would I want to be around him every day?

I would rather not see women throwing themselves at him. I realize it has only been a few weeks, but I was starting to have feelings for him. I thought he would be the one man to treat me how I deserved to be treated.

He has an issue, I know, but I will help him through it. He isn't like Dan, no matter how much he thinks he is or what he says about himself.

I know the difference.

Dan is a sick bastard that enjoyed hurting me.

Ryver has mental problems caused by his childhood, and he hasn't been able to move past them.

Totally different.

“It's likely that the guys aren't too pleased with us right now, girl. When we go back to the clubhouse, Ryver will be so angry that I can't even begin to think about how upset he will be. I honestly hope that we did not get Ace into any kind of trouble.” I tell her as I reach over and grab the newspaper that she thrusts my way before slamming her door.

“They won't be happy with Ace's performance. They have no right to hold us captive, and I won't pretend otherwise, but I completely get why Ryver would be concerned about your safety. Tracer can just go fuck himself. Since I began working there as the club's cook, he has been monitoring me. Even before you got here, he would make poor Ace follow me around town. Did I mention he was the one and only club member I slept with?” She asked as she turned towards me while resting her right elbow on the center console of the vehicle.

“I honestly can't remember whether you did or not right now, but I could tell. The way y'all have been acting around each other, and you said the other day that you and he have sex. I just assumed that he was the member” I shrugged as my eyes quickly scanned over the apartments listed for rental.

We agreed we needed a two bedroom, for each of us, but apart from that, we didn't care if it was big or small. We both make good money working at the club, so the payment part will not be a problem. We just both want somewhere that we can call our own and not have to always deal with grumpy ass bikers and their bunnies running around half-naked.

“He is just so frustrating. You know, I actually fell in love with him months ago. He would act as if he wanted to be with me one day and the next it was like he couldn't stand to even look at me. He pisses me off so bad and to be honest, it hurts that I'm not good enough for him to be with me more than just sneaking into my room for a fuck.” She whispered, her words sounding as broken as she looked.

I completely understand why she wants to move out. I know it's hard on me to be around Ryver and not be able to be with him, but poor Laura. She and Tracer have been doing this dance for a long time, I couldn't even imagine how she is feeling right now.

I don't want to.

That's why we have to find an apartment. I'm not mad at Ryver for not wanting to be with me. I'm not a child who's going to throw a tantrum because she didn't get her way. I will not, however, just sit and watch him move around the clubhouse like I mean nothing to him. I can't watch that.

I won't watch that.

“I doubt that's what his doing. The sneak fuck, I mean. If he is anything like Ryver then Tracer must have some demons of his own that he has to work through. I think he cares about you, despite what you think. I think him wanting you to stay safe is him showing that he cares, even if he would rather not be with you at the moment. Same with Ryver and me. I can't say that Ryver doesn't care because I know he does, even if we are not together. “ I tell her softly as I hold up the newspaper and point to an apartment complex that has a few up for rent. “ I found one.”

“Okay, enough of this bullshit crying that I'm doing, let's go check it out.” Laura laughs as she keys the apartment complex's addresses into the GPS in her car. “It says it's only ten minutes away. That's actually perfect. It wouldn't make you have to drive too far, so late at night in the dark."

“I'm going to see if Ryver will let me leave at least around midnight. At that point, there isn't a reason for me to be there. The boys just start making their drinks and don't even ask me for them. I have basically been hanging around the bar doing nothing.” I huff in annoyance.

I would rather work than just stand behind the bar counter because I feel like I'm getting paid for nothing and I don't like feeling like I owe Ryver anything like that. I know he wouldn't see it that way, but if he and I will not be together, I would rather earn my money the right way.

“I could have told you that. Having a bartender for their parties is a pretty good idea. Sometimes it can get a bit, crazy, but the club doesn't need you to tend the bar every single night. Those boys will not stand around waiting for you to fix their drinks, they are just going to grab whatever they want or make one of the prospects get it for them.” Laura says as she begins to drive out of the gas station's parking lot and onto the main road heading towards Cherokee Deluxe.

That's the name of the apartment building, apparently.

“Yeah, it makes little sense and I would rather work for my money than do nothing and still get paid makes me feel like I owe Ryver. I was dependent on Dan for too long and I don't wish to go back to being dependent on another man even though I don't think it would be the same, but still, it bothers me." I tell her, hoping she understands what I'm trying to say.

I in no form wish to compare Ryver and Dan and I would never, but I just don't need to depend on anyone anymore. I would like to make my own path. Be responsible for my actions and prove to myself that I can do this on my own.

“I genuinely understand. Just like I need to be away from Tracer. You and I both need our space. If they would rather not be with us, then there isn't an actual reason why we have to stay there. We can get an alarm system for the apartment just in case Dan shows his ugly face and boom he would be in prison for harassment or something.” Laura giggles at the idea of Dan landing in cell is the funniest thing ever, and I won't lie I agree.

Definitely.