Chapter 31

I finally let my tears fall as soon as my body landed on my bed. Everyone had a sympathetic and sorry expression on their faces as they glanced at me. I know I should have told Ryver about the baby. He told me about his background, or at least some of it, because of whatever we were doing. I should've shared more details about my personal life with him. I just did not to see what I had seen in the other men's eyes tonight in his. That was not the way I intended for him to find out, especially because of Dan's nonsense.

That man had some damn balls; he told them I was nuts. Yes, getting out of bed when I first lost my child was extremely tough for me. Dan used to litterally drag me out of bed, if he thought I wasn't doing my job as a wife properly. I'm slowly coming to terms with what happened, but Dan bringing up the death of my kid made all those feelings come flooding back inside me. Despite the fact that he was the one who caused it by yanking me backwards down the stairway, I stayed.

I should have left him a long time ago; I knew he'd keep abusing me, but I was too afraid to leave him. Dan threatened me over and over that if I tried to leave him, he would find me. He did, in fact. Because I traveled miles away, I'm not sure how he did it. Despite my best efforts to be extremely cautious, that jackass still found me. He came in acting irrationally and threatening to call the cops.

I honestly would have left with him if only to prevent him from doing it. I didn't want my presence to cause any problems for the men here. Weed is still illegal here, and as you open those big doors, the only smells you'll get are that and beer.

Even if they were a little rough around the edges, they've all been incredibly kind to me. They've all shown today that they've got my back and will protect me against Dan. I can't begin to describe how lovely it felt to be looked after by others. It's been a long time since anyone has looked after me. Im a women and Im grown, but still its not to know you have someone in your corner.

I believe most of my old friends knew what Dan was doing to me, they either did not care and did not want to cause problems with thier marriage. My friends were all married to Dans friends. It made things like that much harder I guess.  I had to wear scarves or turtleneck sweaters to hide his finger prints around my neck. My face was always coated in make-up, which helped to hide the bruises and my cracked lips.

One night, we had a dinner party at the home of one of his colleagues, and I had to wear my sunglasses the entire time. My eye was covered by a horrible, unsightly bruise that no amount of concealer could hide. I even called the cops a couple of times in the beginning, and they came over and questioned us before leaving. They didn't do their job.  They were supposed to protect women like me, and they didn't.

I suspect he was paying them under the table, but I've never been able to prove it.

Laura has not came checked on me yet, I hope she realizes I needed some time to myself. The death of my baby continues to haunt me; I try to let it go, but it's difficult. My logic says I'm not to blame, but my emotions scream I should've left earlier. Dan's treatment of me after I miscarried didn't bother me. It wasn't until he mentioned having another child that I realized it was time to leave. I couldn't lose another child like that, not because I was afraid to leave him.

My thoughts are jolted by a loud knock on my door. As quickly as I could, I brushed my fingers under my eyes and wiped away the stray tears.

"Come in." I leaned against the headboard, sat up straight in bed, and softly called. When I eventually got inside my room earlier, I basically threw myself sideways on it. I needed to vent my emotions. That's how I've always handled things with Dan. I would walk into our bedroom and scream with a pillow over my face if he said something nasty to me, which happened almost every day.