Chapter 37

Later that night, after Laura and I sneakily snuck out of my room and made our way into the kitchen. Imagine a child sneaking out of their room late at night for a snack. That is what we are both reduced to right now.

Both Ryver and Tracer have tried to knock and talk through my bedroom door, and all they heard back was silence. Neither Laura nor I wanted to talk to either of them. Laura had her issues with Tracer as I had mine with Ryver, but I'm pretty sure they are laid by the same pavement.

Childhood trauma.

Just because I understand doesn't mean I'm fine with Ryver treating me this way. I get it. I'm not some pathetic woman that will beg a man to be with her. I did that once. Begged Ryver to stay, and he refused. I won't do it again, and that doesn't mean I want to live here peacefully and watch Cherry be all over him after he tells me he still cares about me.

Cherry.

That bitch.

She makes me want to claw her eyes out. I can't stand her, and I know it's jealousy. Jealousy that maybe she is right. Perhaps a woman like me can't keep a man like Ryver happy. Perhaps I am too weak for him. He clearly thinks that himself. Otherwise, he wouldn't be so against being with me again.

Once we tip toed ourselves into the kitchen, Laura closed the door. Finally, the two of us can breathe and relax at not getting caught by the two men that no doubt would have stormed towards us if they had seen.

“I'm starved.” Laura mumbled as she headed straight for the fridge. “I'm not sure what I can make that won't be smelled by several drunk cavemen, so maybe we should just settle on cereal and milk.”

“That's fine with me. Anything to be less suspicious. I don't feel like dealing with either of them.” I agreed and headed towards the cabinet, grabbing two bowls, and closed the door softly.

We were eating our cheerios when the kitchen door swung up with a loud thud, making both Laura and I jump up from our stools.

“Slade! You scared us,” Laura scolded him softly before hopping off her stool. She quickly made her way over to him, grabbed his big arm, and basically yanked him fully into the kitchen before closing the door.

When I say tugged, I mean she pulled, and he allowed it. Something tells me that man wouldn't have moved unless he wanted to.

“What in the hell are you two doing? Why y'all being so quiet? You know Prez and Tracer have been waiting for you both to finally come out from hiding.” He looks down and scolds us right back. “I'm impressed, though.” He adds with a slight grin on her lips.

Impressed?

Impressed by what? Our cowardliness?

“We just don't wish to deal with them right now. Are you going to rat us out?” I asked quietly while I chewed on my bottom lip. I don't want to deal with Ryver this late at night. I just wanted something to eat in peace. Me and Laura, been hiding in my room for hours.

“Nah. I saw nothing" He smirked before walking out of the kitchen, not saying a word.

I don't think I should believe him.

Something tells me we shouldn't.

“Why do I feel like we are about to get caught?” I quickly asked Laura.

“Because we are.” She sighed and started thrusting cereal into her mouth. “Hurry, eat faster. Those guys keep nothing from each other. Slade may not come right out and tell them, but he will give them a hint, and the boys ain't dumb. They will figure it out.”

“Dammit.” I complained and did what she was doing, shoving cereal into my mouth as quickly as I could.

The sooner we eat, the sooner we can get the fuck out of here and back to the safety of my room.