Chapter 35

Laura and I are at our third stop of the day in our search for an apartment. The apartment we had first found, the one that was the closest to the compound, looked good on the outside, but the manager was a slimy-looking man.
His long, unwashed black hair was sticking to both sides of his face. His clothing was stained with food, and he looked like he was several weeks due for a bath.

He kept staring at our boobs. He wouldn't even look at our faces when we were asking him questions.

We quickly vetoed that apartment and went on to the next. Neither of us wanted to live somewhere where a man like that had a key to just walk into our apartment anytime he had a wild hair.

The next one we had found was not in a friendly neighborhood, and I know what you're thinking.

We are being judgmental, but we definitely are not. Homeless men and women were sitting around the curbs in that area, and it made us very uncomfortable.

They kept just walking up to use, asking for cash. They wasn't the types to just sit and wait for someone to hand out money to them.

No, they made it a point to walk straight up to use and ask.

We felt bad for them and ended up giving several of them a five-dollar bill, but it was not somewhere that we considered secure enough to live. She was still a cook at the compound and had no wish to quit working there, and the same went for me.

She would be back before dark until the cold months hit at least, but I would come back home at night. I wouldn't feel very protected getting out of my car around here.

I would not feel safe without walking around with a thing of pepper spray, and that's not how I wished to live the rest of my life. Not when I once had to walk around on eggs shells while I was still married to Dan.

I needed a peaceful and safe life.

Not that I'm saying that any of these homeless men would hurt Laura and me but you never know.

This world's turning crazy and more dangerous every day.

The last apartment on the list looked to be in a satisfactory neighborhood with and had a grey stone building. The front of each apartment even had flowers in the flower bed and the plus thing, at least for me, was that they were all on the ground.

I didn't appreciate making multiple trips up and down stairs when I went grocery shopping. To be honest, after the way I had lost my child I didn't prefer stairs much at all, and I avoided them any chance I could.

It was about twenty minutes from the compound and about ten from town, which Laura and I like a lot. If we need to run into town for a little something, we could go and be back no problems.

The manger, whose name was Mike, was showing us around one of the few available 2-bedroom apartments. It didn't come furnished, which we already knew. We would have to hit up that rent to own furniture store that Laura talked about.

The kitchen appliances were white. I hated white appliances because they stained easy, and it was hard to get things off white. The kitchen counter tops were a brown wood, again not ideal for a kitchen, being if you get the wood wet it's going to buckle.

The floors were nicely done, though. They look like they were all brand new, freshly installed. The carpet in the living room was a light-brown color, and the floors in the kitchen and dining areas were thus darker wood tile.

“What do you think?" I asked Laura as my eyes roamed around the rooms as we walked into the bathroom that she and I would be sharing.

“I love it! How about you? Do you like it? Oh, my god, I'm so excited, I can't wait to get everything moved.” She asked the questions before squealing in excitement.