Chapter 39

The night, Ryver knocked on my bedroom door and walked in, looking nervous. I didn't order him to get out like I should have because despite me not telling him no; I didn't tell him yes.

I ended up giving into my heart and patted the space on the bed next to me. I didn't say anything, just watched as he slowly approached my bed like he was scared I was going to kick him out.

“I want to sleep in here with you. Please, just don't touch me while I'm sleeping.” He muttered before grabbing a pillow and laying it between us. “I want to be able to sleep with you like this. Having you next to me is like a dream and I need it, but I'm also terrified of hurting you.” He explained before climbing into bed.

“I have faith in you, Ryver.” I sighed as I gripped my blanket to stop myself from reaching out and touching him.

My body still wants this man even after everything he has put us through, and from the feeling of my heartbeat picking up, it's acceptable to say my heart's feeling the same way.

“Goodnight Ashley. I love you, baby.” Ryver whispered before turning to face me.

“Goodnight Ryver” I murmured.

We laid like that for several moments, not speaking, just staring into each other's eyes as we both fell asleep.

The next morning, I rolled towards Ryvers side of the bed wanting to smell him, but when I opened my eyes I saw his beautiful ones looking back at me.

“How did you sleep?” He asked, raising a hair and dragged his finger through my hair.

“I slept good. You?” I asked and gave him a smile, shy smile.

Something about this man laying shirtless next to me makes my body feel like it's close to a bonfire.

“That was the first night I my entire life that I didn't have a Nightmare about my childhood and it's all because of your baby.” He said before leaning forward, bringing his lips towards mine and kissed me. “Thank you for that, baby.”

“You don't need to thank me, Ryver. I'm just glad you finally found peace enough to sleep without having to relieve those memories.” I murmured. “What time is it?” I asked, confused and still half asleep.

“Around nine forty, I believe. Why?” He asked, confused at my sudden speed as I jumped out the bed rushing.

“Did you forget what we have today? It's the BBQ. Laura said other clubs come together to host a poker run for the children's hospital. I told her I'd help, and I should have been in the kitchen two hours ago.” I screeched in panic mode as I dashed all around my room, looking for my boots.

“Babe, that's not until later tonight. You girls have plenty of time-” He tried to calm me down, but I wasn't having it.

“No. I told her I'd be in the kitchen around seven am. She is probably waiting for me.” I explained as I quickly slipped on my boots and headed for the door.

“Babe.” Ryver called out.

“Yes?” I asked and stopped under the doorway and looked back at him. “Ryver I still work here. I have to make sure we have enough for everyone to drink. I have to go help.”

Doesn't he understand I have to hurry? I'm late, even if he thinks it's not a big deal.

“Have you thought about giving me a second chance, Ashley?” He asked, his icy mask slipping and allowing me to see his vulnerability.

“Yes Ryver I have and I want to. Let's just take it slow. You have hurt me and I need time to allow myself to understand. I love you and I want to be your old lady. I just need time.” I whispered and blew him a kiss before rushing out of the room before he can stop me again.