9

I'm sitting at the counter in what I'm assuming is the pack house kitchen, watching the chef make me his famous fried chicken, mashed potatoes and mac n cheese.

Honestly it sounds absolutely amazing right now, I'm pretty sure I'm drooling. Zane said he had to go take care of some 'pack business' so it's just me and the chef, who told me his name is Rudy.

"You know there's no way you're going to be my Luna or this packs Luna, considering I'm going to be the Luna. Zane just forgot that for a moment. But when he realizes you're nothing more than a mutt, he'll come to his senses and back to me."

That awful high pitched voice pulls my out of my trance, and I'm not thrilled. I was watching Rudy cook my delicious food.

Didn't bozo learn her lesson earlier? I guess with Zane not around she has balls again.

"I don't plan on sticking around long enough for him to realize shit, you can be the Luna for all I care. I just want the amazing food Chef Rudy is being kind enough to make me, then I'm gone."

I turn to bozo and give her a smile and the look on her face is priceless, pure shock. Like she can't believe someone wouldn't want to be Luna. I can't help but laugh a little as I turn back to Rudy who's now looking at me smiling.

"As long as you know that then." bozo says as she leaves.

Great come back dipshit.

"Don't mind her Luna, she's always had a stick up her ass. Ever since Zane turned sixteen and realized she wasn't his mate."

"So she's been here that long?"

"Her whole life. Her father was the previous Beta."

"Well that explains a lot, but please Rudy just call me Nova. I really don't plan on staying or being Luna."

"Well whether she or you likes it or not, you are Alpha Zane's mate and therefore the rightful Luna of this pack. But sure, I don't mind to call you Nova when Alpha isn't around."

Rudy gives me a wink and chuckles lightly and turns back to the food.

I meant what I just said damn it. Why does everyone think I don't control my own damn life?

When he finally finishes the food I swear I'm in heaven, I've never had anything taste so damn good in my life! Truly it's amazing, I make sure to savor every bite I take. He even made me chess bars for dessert and holy shit, I didn't know they could be this warm and gooey.

"Mind if I have some?"

Zane snaps me out of my mini food orgasm, damn him.

"Help yourself, Chef Rudy made plenty. He said you'd be hungry after your meeting."

"He knows me well."

He laughs and it sounds like honey to my ears.

Selene why do you hate me so much? What have I done to cause you to torture me like this? A second mate, one that says I'm his first and only.. how is that even possible?

"So I spoke with Felix, my beta. He's found your sister and he's on his way back with her now, they should be here shortly."

"Oh Goddess I hope she's okay, and isn't freaking out too bad."

"Felix told her what was going on, he said she seemed fine once he said he was bringing her to you."

"Thank you, for finding her and bringing her here. I appreciate it more than you could imagine."

We walk out to the front porch and sit on a wooden swing while waiting for his beta and my sister to arrive. I can't wait to see her and make sure Lane hadn't gotten to her yet.

I have faith in my sister though, I trained her myself. So she would always know how to defend herself from any human, and could put up a good fight against shifters. I know she could hold her own.

"So Nova, about this ex mate of yours. What's his name?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Oh but it matters greatly to me."

"Well it shouldn't. Trust me I can take care of myself."

"It didn't seem that way when I found you on the brink of death in the woods."

"He had caught me off guard and I just couldn't bring myself to hurt him at that time. But he rejected me before he left me for dead, so hurting him will no longer be a problem. I will be the one to make him pay for what he did to me."

"LIKE HELL!"

A loud growl startles me and when I look at Zane I can see I've pissed him off.

Damn he really has some anger problems.

I take my hand and place it in his, while also laying my head on his shoulder. I feel his breathing even out after I few moments. I let myself enjoy this, even if it's just for a moment.

I close my eyes enjoying everything about this, his touch and scent is bliss. I must have drifted off to sleep for a second, because the next thing I know I hear a car door shut and the an all to familiar voice.

"Nova! Oh my God Nova I'm so happy you're okay! We've been so worried about you!"

My little sister bounds up the steps towards me and I rush to meet her embrace.

"I'm so sorry Alexa, I never expected him to do that to me."

"Him? Who's him Nova?" She looks past me to Zane with a suspicious look.

"Oh Goddess no, not him. It was Lane who tried to kill me and left me for dead! I told you I was going to confront him about everything remember?"

"Lane? Really? Bu-but he said he never seen you that day. He said y'all spoke over the phone and worked everything out. He said he explained it was all a misunderstanding, and he explained it to me too. I felt so stupid when I realized it was just a shifter thing to want to mark family members to keep them safe. He's been trying to help look for you, he's been torn up over your disappearance."

I noticed Felix growled slightly when my sister mentioned being marked, but I brushed it off to him being mad about someone trying to take advantage of a human that way.

"Alexa that is all bullshit! Goddess, please tell me you didn't let him mark you! And please tell me you didn't tell him you found me."

"N-no I told him if someone was going to have to mark me I wanted it to be you. I didn't tell him I found you yet because I wanted to make sure it was really you first. So he li-lied to me? Fuck I feel so stupid!"

I pull her into a tight hug and let out a deep breath. I can't believe he would stoop so low, scratch that; yes I can. I also noticed now that Beta Felix hasn't gone more than five feet from my sister since they've gotten here.

"Oh baby girl, it's not your fault. You're not a shifter, you don't know all of these things and that's okay. I'll tell you everything you want to know, I promise. I'm just happy you're okay, and thank you for not telling him about me. If he knew I was still alive, he'd expect me or worse look for me."

"Good, because I'm going to need to know everything!"

She squeals as she pulls out of my arms and jumps up and down excitedly.

"And why is that?" I eye her curiously.

"Because, I finally found my mate. Hello Luna, nice to officially meet you."

This time is was Beta Felix who speaks as he steps closer to my baby sister and puts his arm around her waist as she squeals happily, and reaches the other hand out to me. I shake his hand and just stare at them dumbfounded, I'm at a total loss for words.

Looks like my baby sister will become a marked shifter after all. At least once Felix marks her Lane can't touch her.

*****Authors Note- The photo at the top is how I vision Beta Felix, but feel free to change him into whoever you want to see him as.