CHAPTER 2

"Who are you...?" asked Lia.

Lia was frightened to be in an unknown environment, but she was also immensely curious. The boys sparkling emerald eyes met hers in return.

"I am Kieran Vale. Lia, you're twelve, right?"

"Yes...," said Lia, cautiously."I'm fifteen. Nice to meet you," said Kieran.

Kieran looked at Lia as he sat on the edge of her bed. Betty, the woman tasked with taking care of Lia in this unfamiliar place, admired the two. They were curiously alike, both had honey-blonde hair and emerald eyes. They even looked similar.

Lia was still scared of these people she didn't know. When the boy tried touching her cheeks, she flinched away from his outstretched fingers. She ran to the sofa and hid behind it. She peeked from behind it.

"Please...," she said in a small voice, "Please let me go back to my mother. I don't know if she knows where I have gone. She will be worried."

"Your mother?" said Kieran, "Betty, what about Lia's mother?"

Betty approached the sofa slowly and squatted down to meet Lia's eyes. "Madam will answer that question," said Betty, "I have only received orders to feed and bathe her."

Lia felt a little bit better at Betty's kind smile. The place was a wonder, filled with prettiest things. Betty never had had a full bath. They would only scrub themselves with wet rags to clean themselves at her place. They couldn't afford so much water and much less a tub. She looked at herself, all dirty and muddy and looked at Kieran, radiantly shining in a crisp white shirt. The girl then carefully grabbed Betty's skirt.