CHAPTER 101

The Ihar Manor's attendants' most pressing duty as of late was decorating the empty rooms.

They prepared the space Camellia would use as her bedchamber after she became Grand Duchess and designated the largest room as her workroom, since the duchess-to be enjoyed a variety of hobbies.

Of course, Claude and Camellia were not yet wed, but everyone knew that they would be regardless of imperial approval.

Thus the attendants started by selecting the best possible facilities for the imminent future. Edith and Owen opened a set of doors, the thirteenth in their search for the most well-lit room.

It was exactly between Claude and Camellia's chambers, not too big or too small, and faced south, letting the sunlight linger in the room for a long time.

"This is perfect," Edith said, a satisfied smile on her face.

Owen nodded in agreement. "It's close to both of their rooms and has an abundance of sunlight. Not to mention the adjoining room for the nanny."

"Exactly. The nanny wouldn't have to move far."

Nobles tended to sleep in separate bedchambers once their honeymoons were over-the higher their rank, the farther distanced their rooms. Children were no exception. But Edith and Owen weren't sure what decision their lord would make.

"Don't you think their rooms are too far apart?" Edith commented, looking around.

"I do, actually. They are very affectionate with each other," Owen assented.

"Should we set aside another room as a joint bedchamber? Facing the forest this time."

"That sounds like a wonderful idea. They are not like other nobles, after all."

The two closed the doors gleefully. Edith scanned the rooms up and down the hallway, checking items off the ever growing to-do list in her mind.

Time was ticking, both for these additional tasks and for her lesson with Camellia. She couldn't keep her most enthusiastic pupil waiting for too long.

"We'll earmark these three rooms as viable candidates. Would it be alright if we looked at the rest tomorrow, Owen?"

He checked the clock and nodded. "Yes. 1 have to go meet with Sir Caruso as well."

They hurried down the hallway in tandem. Choosing a nursery for the future young lord was all in a day's work, but alas, the day in Ihar Manor had just begun.

*****

"Too fast, my lady. Again," Edith said sharply.

Lia bit her lip and moved her right foot forward. They were practicing the waltz today in the guest hall. Her dress twirled along with her steps. Despite her leg healing completely only days before, she showed remarkable progress and control.

"Back straight, chin up. Good. Lively steps. Stretch those arms more."

Edith was a stern yet effective teacher.

When Claude told her about the imperial ball, Lia had made a beeline to Edith's room. Before she was Lady Ihar's lady in-waiting, Edith had grown up as an aristocratic lady. She had attended all sorts of balls-per her mother's persistence and danced the waltz with over 101 men, which provided her an abundance of tips on technique and small talk.

"You'll share the first dance with Lord Ihar, I assume?"

"Yes." Lia nodded. "But His Imperial Highness might try to ask me first. He's rather... impish."

She turned, deep in thought. Her dress billowed out around her.

"You must share the first dance with Lord Ihar," Edith emphasized, leading Lia around the room as her dance partner. "Otherwise the rumors will go on for ages."