CHAPTER 128: LAST CHAPTER

The seasons came and went, and winters melted into springs. As the fourth spring began stretching its legs and the gardens were still holding onto the remnants of winter, two sets of footprints marked the dry garden.

"Stop following me around, Sir Calix," Jessica warned pointedly.

"Father came back, you see." Calix continued to follow Jessica with a smile.

"He brought an exotic fruit, and I wanted to give it to you first, my lady."

Jessica frowned, remembering the sweet fruit an attendant had brought out for her.

"We all just had a piece of the fruit you brought, sir. So in the future, please refrain from visiting me without advance notice."

"But you haven't yet accepted my apology, my lady. I must have your forgiveness."

"I told you, I forgave you. I don't remember what happened three years ago; it's all in the past. Besides, I'm leaving for Gaior in a week. So I won't be here anymore, even if you come."

His face turned pale at her announcement. Jessica curtsied but didn't forget to glare at him as she turned around.

Calix reached out, latching onto her wrist before promptly letting go as if he'd been burned. "S-Sorry. But why are you suddenly leaving for Gaior?"

Jessica glanced down at her wrist, where his hand had been moments ago. "Why do you want to know?"

When Calix began to visit Ihar Manor, he said he wanted to apologize to Jessica. But his subsequent visits had a less clear objective.

Jessica honestly could not understand him. He'd trail after her, face turning red every time he saw her.

Sometimes, he'd look so disappointed when he stared at her.

You're so mean to me. You're the one pulling me on a leash. You're toying with me.

She didn't understand any of his remarks. He'd even omit calling her 'my lady', which only made her hate him more.

"I'm going to go to Gaior too."

Jessica looked perplexed. "That's up to you, Sir Calix.

"No! I want to go with you. I want to study there too."

"Why do you want to go with me? I have no responsibility for your education."

"Jessica, my father is a count. I know it's nothing compared to a duke, but I have enough money to study abroad!"

Jessica looked even more confused now. "So go study abroad. You don't have to come with me then."

"My goodness," Calix groaned, pulling on his hair.

Jessica watched him for a few seconds before she decided that it would be a much better use of her time to play with Cahrem than to waste it here with Calix.

"Now, then. If you'll excuse me." She turned around and headed toward the manor, leaving behind a flustered Calix.

People referred to him as Del Casa's Sunshine, but Jessica disagreed.

In her eyes, there was no one as beautiful and sparkling as her father, and her mother was the most beautiful woman she'd ever laid eyes on. She nodded to herself as she ran up the stairs to Cahrem's room, where Cahrem was stacking toy blocks when he noticed his sister step into the room.

He glared at her before turning his head away with an indignant sound.

"Cahrem, I'm here. Why are you upset?"