CHAPTER 117

Lia couldn't remember how she managed to walk down to the great hall. Hand on Claude's arm, she walked through the doors to thunderous applause.

With every step, nobles she didn't know moved aside for her with elegant smiles. She met eyes with them, responding with a cordial smile, but all her thoughts were focused on her stomach and the baby.

She didn't know whether to trust Betty's claim or call a doctor secretly to confirm her present state.

Ironically, this preoccupation distracted her from the meal, letting it pass by without a single gag or wave of nausea.

Jasmine sighed inwardly as she watched Lia eat daintily and steadily.

"I can now face Maximilian in heaven. Prayers to the beautiful Grand Duke and Duchess."

The emperor's toast was followed by blessings and toasts from the nobles seated across the table. They were punctuated with polite applause and the clinking of glasses and cups.

Lia accepted the glasses the nobles handed her, discreetly pouring them into an empty cup. If she hadn't known about her pregnancy, she would've ended up drinking a few of them.

'Congratulations, my lady. You're pregnant.'

A shiver shot down her spine at the thought. She downed multiple glasses of apple juice instead, politely declining subsequent glasses of alcohol.

"May I visit you later in your room, my lady?" A noble lady with a mole on the corner of her mouth approached her, sparking numerous requests from other noble ladies who had been waiting for the opportunity to speak to Lia.

Their eyes were brimming with curiosity, which was quelled immediately by Lia's refusal.

"It would be my pleasure, but perhaps another time. The hour is late, and I am not in my best condition, I'm afraid," Lia said by rote, sighing softly as the ladies walked away disappointed.

Thankfully, Rosina came to her rescue.

"Even I haven't been able to call on Lady Camellia," Rosina announced primly. "I would appreciate it if you all exercised a little patience." Her lips curved into a smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

It was cordial, but carried an authority that Lia was not familiar with. More often than not, Rosina was quite the troublemaker in front of her, playful and animated.

But these were the moments which reminded Lia that to everyone else, she was the one and only Princess of Cayen.

"Thank you, Your Highness," Lia whispered.

Rosina reached over with a distraught look. "You look absolutely terrible, dear. What happened?"

Lia fumbled for an answer as she glanced at Claude. He never took his eyes off her for the whole dinner; even now, he was staring straight at her as he accepted a glass of wine from a lord. Also, she wasn't sure how Rosina would react.

"I... I'm really nervous, I think. It still hasn't hit me, to be honest."

Rosina nodded sympathetically. "Can your mother attend?" "Probably not. But it's alright, I got to visit her recently."

Rosina rubbed Lia's arm comfortingly, narrowing her eyes at the bony limb. She gnawed at her lip before pinning her gaze on Claude, quietly scolding him for his irresponsibility.

"How could you let her get this thin? Have you no control?"

Claude glowered at his cousin, pulling Lia into his arms and away from Rosina.

Jasmine hit the side of her wine glass with a fork, capturing the attention of the hall.

"We'll call it a fight, I think. Thank you all again for coming. Please enjoy the sauna, Del Casa's pride and joy, before you retire to bed."