CHAPTER 53

A coffin covered with black flags was loaded on a heavy carriage.

The streets are filled with the citizens and knights from the Imperial family, all sang their sorrow.

The death of Maximilian del Ihar, a well respected Duke of the North. The news about the Duke being poisoned and passed away on behalf of the Emperor shocked everyone.

The sound of the military march filled the road of Ethéar.

When someone began to sing a song about the mourning of the death, the melody spread like a wildfire and rang the entire capital.

"How should I do it, Young Master?"

Pipi fully understands the people's sadness, she wipes away some tears and said.

Lia watched the procession across the city through the window of her room.

A while ago, she saw Claude riding the horse and leading the procession.

The night the Grand Duke died. Claude came in, covered in blood, and
hugged her for a long time.

Without saying a word, he just barely took a breath and left after hearing
the ringing of the bells.

At the urgent sound of the bell announcing the Duke's critical condition, he left the room with a calm face.

All that's left on the spot was the crushed flower with a sweet scent.

She couldn't ask anything, and couldn't comfort him.

It's really heartbreaking and sad just to think about letting go of a loved one. She couldn't even figure out what words to say other than being sad.

Especially since she hasn't experienced it.

"I'll go to the academy."

In the meantime, Lia went to the academy.

A lot of nobles returned to their estates in fear of the dire situation in the capital. However, some of the high-ranked nobles remained and focused on their studies.

Rumors such as the Duchess fainting repeatedly and having aphasia, or that the Marquis Selby being imprisoned by the guards late at night, naturally floated around.

After class, Lia stopped by the horse yard where no one is around.

Claude and Wade's horses weren't there.

It felt weird.

People have gossiped that the Master of Del Casa had changed, saying that
there would be a bloodstorm coming.

Indeed, if Duke Claude declares war, the residents from the North will begin to evacuate to the South in order to avoid the war.

There was already an atmosphere of war throughout the Empire.

'Now, I think we won't be seeing each other...?'

'I couldn't even say goodbye properly.'

Lia hated him. He knew her as a man, but still he had taken away her first kiss.

She wasn't afraid of Claude, but her body would shake just by the touch of his fingertips with strange feelings.

So when his lips touched hers, she actually didn't think of anything. She became dizzy as if she was standing at the edge of a cliff and clung to him.

Lia rubbed her lips with the back of her hand. She feels like she's going to cry again, for no reason as her heart is shaking.

'Is this normal? Why does my heart hurts every time I think of him? Is there something wrong with me?'