CHAPTER 105

The Central Library of the University of Del Casa was packed with examinees.

They looked around nervously as they took their seats for the annual exam.

The university professors, government officials, and nobles who volunteered as proctors stood in their designated places, scanning the room.

To be exact, all the proctors' eyes were following the only woman seated with the Rank 1 examinees and the handsome young man near her.

The woman focused solely on her exam, seemingly unbothered by such stares.

The young man, however, kept up a constant stream of sighs and frowns.

Peirotte snorted at the whispers he heard around him.

They discussed everything from the emperor's approval of the duke's marriage to the mysterious reason why the future duchess was applying for the Rank 1 exam.

'She's Sir Kieran Bale's sister, which means the genius runs in her veins as well. Perhaps we may have our first perfect score in our midst.'

'She's still a woman. She may have been taught by Master Theodore, but a perfect score? Unlikely.'

If you only knew what I know.

Peirotte had sent an attendant to the capital after his encounter with Lia to find out everything about her.

The information the attendant came back with had shocked him. The youngest student to achieve a perfect score on the Imperial Academy's entrance exam, who advanced directly to Year Nine-that star pupil was none other than Camellia Bale.

Peirotte studied her closely.

He admired House Ihar greatly and overtly.

Although he wasn't the most well-received among the gentry for his high pride as a noble, Claude considered him a useful associate.

There is no way Lord Ihar would waste such a valuable talent as just a dainty flower.

Peirotte knew that she would achieve Rank 1 without much trouble.

The main issue lay with the handsome young man, who looked uncannily like Claude.

He walked past Caruso, glancing askance at his exam paper. He raised an eyebrow as Caruso went over the questions again and again.

Perhaps there might be an unexpected result.

The library was filled with the sound of groans and the scratches of pens against paper.

When fifteen minutes had passed since the start of the exam, Lia put down her pen with a faint smile.

A proctor immediately approached her.

"If you're giving up, you may leave the room." His voice was cordial but laced with a strange wariness.

Lia opened her eyes wide. "What do you do if you're done?"

"You're done?"

"Yes."

Peirotte pushed aside the flustered proctor and picked up her exam.

"We'll grade it now. Congratulations on your hard work, my lady."

He marched down to the marking table, where the professors sat waiting for completed exams.

He handed Lia's exam to a professor, loitering in front of him anxiously.

The professor's face, blasé at first, slowly turned serious as he read through her responses.