CHAPTER 121

Lia's contractions continued on to the next morning. The maids, midwife, and doctors were all dozing off in various positions, but Claude sat by her bed, clutching onto his wife's hand.

"You should rest," Lia barely made out, only to see her husband's face harden.

"How can I when you're like this? If... If it's too much, you can give up. All I need is you, if you're okay..."

"Don't say that. Our child and I will both be healthy."

"Damn it," he muttered, glaring at her stomach. "Why..."

The snow finally began to subside. Caruso seized the opportunity to send Pollan to Gaior, notifying them that Lia had gone into labor. It was Jasmine's idea to send the hawk.

She requested Laura's presence-albeit temporarily explaining that Lia needed her mother more than ever.

Twelve hours had passed since the start of Lia's contractions. When she fainted from exhaustion, Claude's fury was palpable. The doctors, midwife, and attendants employed every method they knew to revive Lia. Only when the grand duchess's eyes fluttered open did Claude finally calm down. He crumpled to the floor in a giant heap, breathing heavily. He didn't know what he would do if Lia didn't make it.

The very thought knocked the breath out of him. He scurried to sit by Lia's side again, gripping her hand like it was all he needed to survive.

Pipi finished feeding Lia water, then grabbed her other hand in prayer. Lia merely tossed and turned now and then, like she had absolutely no strength left.

"Lord Sergio is here, my lord," Caruso reported. "He brought Lady Laura Alexei."

Claude rose from his seat when Lia began to moan, then scream.

"Camellia. Lia. Breathe, Lia. Breathe."

"Name," she gasped. "We need a name."

"What are you talking about? That's the least of our concerns right now!"

"I want to call our baby by name, Claude," Lia replied with a scream.

He clenched his jaw as the doctors and midwife took their places between her legs. The midwife's eyes soon came to life. "A little more, my lady!"

"Cahrem. Cahrem Alexei Ihar. If it's a daughter, Yvonne Alexei Ihar," Claude said rapidly as Lia screamed again. At that moment, the doors burst open to reveal a puffy-eyed Laura, who ran to kneel at her daughter's side. Lia turned her head minutely, reaching for her.

"My baby, my Lia. It'll be alright, just breathe and push."

The doctors and midwife encouraged her as well, urging her to push. Veins protruded from Lia's forehead, her eyes turning red from the bursting capillaries. She bit down on her lip so hard it began to bleed.

Claude shoved his hand between her lips, silently telling her with his eyes to bite his hand instead.

Lia's vision blurred; she felt like her body was splitting in two. Her mouth gaped open, but she couldn't scream. His tears dropped onto her face to mingle with hers.

The whole room was filled with desperate prayers for the grand duchess.

"Almost there, my lady!" the midwife cried, pushing down on Lia's stomach. "You're doing great. Just one more push!"

A loud cry punctured the air as the baby finally slid out between Lia's legs. "A son!"

Lia gasped for breath, tears streaming down her face. The baby cried as the midwife washed and wrapped him, but Claude did not leave Lia's side.

He buried his face in her chest, shoulders heaving as he bawled his eyes out.

"Are you crying, Claude?" Lia asked faintly, weaving her fingers through his hair.

"The Grand Duke crying? Did the sun rise from the west?" she teased, slightly out of breath.

"Don't cry, love."

Claude attempted a smile, which came out more like a grimace, and kissed her reverently. "Lia..."

"Yes."

"Camellia."

"Yes, Claude."

"There will be no other kids for us. None."

Jasmine tutted.

"Spoken like his father's son." She approached the bed with her grandson nestled in her arms.

"Say hello to your child, you two."

The baby had pink skin, jet-black hair, and mesmerizing blue-green eyes. He had stopped crying but continued to crinkle his nose.

"Cahrem," Lia murmured, lifting her hand to brush the tuft of his hair. He was so tiny that she felt like he would break at the slightest touch.

Claude seemed to feel the same way. He held his son carefully, shocked that Cahrem's face was smaller than his palm.

All he could do was cry.

(t/n: SHAKING CRYING SCREAMING THROWING UP BANGING MY HEAD ON THE WALL RIPPING MY HAIR OUTTTT)

"Mom," Lia called to Laura. "This is our son, Cahrem."

"He looks like you and Lord Claude. He's lovely. Congratulations, my baby," Laura said, eyes glistening with tears. Lia smiled, but her eyes were also wet with tears.

"Cahrem Alexei Ihar," Claude repeated, like a mantra. Ivan stepped forward, face streaked with tears, and knelt before his future lord.

The others followed suit, expressing heartfelt congratulations to the new parents with watery eyes.

A new life had sprung in the North on a miraculous night in February.

(t/n: next chapter will be the epilogue everyone. I'm not crying, I'm not.)