CHAPTER 118

For a second, Lia wondered if she'd made a mistake telling Claude.

This definitely wasn't the best timing.

But when she saw him standing in front of the chapel-no, from the moment she heard she was pregnant-she had wanted to tell him.

She wished to see him set alight with happiness. However, all he did was grasp her shoulder and hang his head, shaking silently.

"Claude?"

The people were turning around in their seats, craning their necks to see why the couple weren't entering the chapel. The knights were also glancing sideways at Lia and Claude, their arms straining.

Lia fidgeted under the curious stares, caressing Claude's cheeks and guiding his eyes to hers.

"We need to get married, remember? We can celebrate afterward."

Claude raised an eyebrow at her words, his eyes flashing with emotion. She opened her mouth to speak, but he beat her to the punch.

His arm hooked under her knees, hoisting her up. His other hand supported her back sturdily. She grabbed the lapel of his uniform in surprise.

"Claude! Put me down!"

"Play."

"What? Claude!"

"Play." Claude gestured to the orchestra, which swiftly resumed playing.

Caruso straightened and announced, "All rise!"

"How could you tell me the news like that?" Claude muttered under his breath.

"What was I supposed to do?" she shot back, holding onto his lapels for dear life.

"I wanted to tell you as soon as possible!"

"Since when have you known?"

"Yesterday!"

"Yesterday?" he repeated in disbelief. "So you did lie to me last night."

"Not on purpose!"

"Same difference," Claude declared, biting the tip of her nose hard enough to sting.

He stepped up to the open doors and strode down the aisle, proud as ever.

The guests began to stand slowly, staring at Claude walk up to the altar like he was a general returning from a victorious battle. The train of Lia's dress dragged behind them, reflecting the rays of sunlight throughout the chapel.

Soon, a boy and a girl ran past them, throwing petals with peals of laughter. They were Arinne and her little brother.

Lia waved at them happily, momentarily forgetting her current predicament.

The archbishop's features softened in a smile as he watched the couple approach him. Jasmine clenched her eyes shut in shame.

Never in Cayen's history had a groom carried his bride in during an aristocratic wedding, let alone the titling ceremony of the grand duke and duchess.

The emperor burst into laughter when he saw his sister shaking her head in resignation.

If the nobles were thinking that Claude's actions were degrading to his status, they didn't show it. Instead, their robust applause echoed through the chapel. Lia cast her eyes down, but not before she met her father's eyes. He stood at the front pew with his wife. Anastasia turned minutely toward the aisle.

Lia thought their eyes had also met, but she couldn't be sure.

"My lord, please put your bride down."