CHAPTER 87

Slowly regaining consciousness, Lia felt like her head is going to burst and her throat burning dry.

Lia noticed that her head is lying on someone's leg, but she was spaced out,
staring at the table and blinking her heavy eyes.

A warm and gentle hand touches her ear. The hand that brushed her fine hair and pinched her soft cheek.

"It's really not that big of a deal... That drink is just strong."

She heard Claude laughed above her head when she spoke a bit shy.

"You said that last time, and you got drunk."

"I think I know now why people drink alcohol when they're frustrated or angry."

Her tone was mixed with sighs. Claude responds as if he was scolding her.

"What you drank was quite a strong alcohol. It's not a drink that you can just gulp in one go."

Probably that's the reason why she didn't feel good. Lia felt nauseous and uncomfortable that it's incomparable to the hangover she felt last time.

Claude slightly opened the window when he noticed that she was in pain.

Soon, the cool breeze of the night came in and ventilated the stuffy air.

"When we arrive to Del Casa, I'll tell them to lock the liquor storage properly first."

"Are you afraid that I might become a drunkard?"

"It's a habit to look for alcohol when feeling upset."

"You know what I'm upset about, right?"

Claude raised his eyebrows at Lia's attitude, like she won't lose that easily, then he nodded.

"Because I made you feel that way."

His gentle recognition made Canillia sad again. If he had rather been angry of why she drank that alcohol, she would have responded more contemptuously.

"It just once... I had a vague feeling. I still don't know if I'm Canillian or Canillia. And that's why I missed my mom more, but I held it in. When I was young, I kept it all in because I thought the Marchioness would harm my mom. So I endured the fear that I would ruin my mom's happiness... Now, I'm holding it in because of His Grace."

"Lia."

"I'm angry. I'm angry at myself and at the people who judge me... But I don't know how to get angry. It's easier to hold it in. And now, I'm annoyed to that side of me."

Claude grabbed her shoulder with trembling hands.

After the accident, Canillia fell in a swamp of self-blame. From the reason of the accident to the injury in his hand, she blamed it all to herself.

Lia has a weak and soft heart, whether it's her fault or not, she can't bear the pain of others.

So his eyes and heart were drawn to her, whatever her appearance is.

And it's not just because of how beautiful she is.

From the first time Claude saw Lia, her very existence became special to him.

"You don't have to pay attention to anyone's gaze, and you don't have to care about how others would feel, Canillia. Just as there are people that who hate you for no reason, there are also people who love you without any conditions. Like me. And like everyone else."

She looked out of the window where the wind was blowing.

At the end of the wide plain, dark blue light overflows along the horizon.