CHAPTER 104

News traveled fast, and Grand Duke Ihar's arrival in the capital was no exception. After Kieran's visit, countless nobles began calling on Claude.

Their exclamations of surprise at seeing Camellia with him were uniform. As she had been Camellius Bale the last time they saw her, their shock was understandable.

Some received a deep glower from Claude as they gaped at Lia in a dress for too long. She, however, only had eyes for the documents that she held.

Caruso began serving as House Ihar's steward, but since he was lacking in so many areas, Claude decided to appoint Lia as his advisor-reasoning that this would mutually help their exam studies-which meant every form and file had to pass through her.

Despite Lia's absolute disregard for the nobles watching her, stories and accounts flew around the capital.

People whispered that Camellius Bale had returned as Grand Duke Ihar's woman.

But with these whispers came the realization that Lia, the grand-duchess to-be, would be positioned at the top of the social pyramid. And along with this realization began the flow of presents.

"So those men with flowers outside... They're all attendants sent to ask me for a dance on behalf of their masters? Why?"

Lia asked, baffled as she looked out the window.

The front lawn of the Ihar townhouse was packed with servants waiting for their turn to enter the house.

Without exception, each one of them held a huge bouquet of flowers as they craned their heads to see who was being allowed to enter.

"It's an honor for a noble house if they can get a dance with the grand duke's woman," Pipi said, puffing her chest proudly.

"Not to mention, it's your official debut!"

"That's why they're bombarding me with flowers?"

Pipi nodded, skipping behind Lia and tightening her corset.

"Lord Ihar seems pretty upset by the whole ordeal. But this is such a natural custom in social circles that even he can't do anything about it."

No, Pipi. Claude can and will do something about it. I'd be surprised if he doesn't.

Lia swallowed as she looked over herself in the mirror.

She couldn't deny that she was curious about Claude's current state, but she didn't have time to dilly-dally.

Today was the official start of the imperial ball, made infinitely more important by the fact that she'd be having an audience with the emperor.

Lady Ihar's dress, which she wore for her own debut ball, was mended to fit snugly around Lia's body.

Lia picked up the pair of black diamond earrings that were resting on a velvet tray. She was like a sweet osmanthus, elegant and beautiful.

Pipi helped her put on the earrings with trembling fingers, then gathered the wavy honey blond locks into a neat updo.

The young child who once hid behind clumsy suits was replaced by a woman of breathtaking beauty.

All the maids who were helping Lia dress gazed at her adoringly.

With a tiara resembling a black swan placed delicately on her head, Lia studied herself in the mirror as she pulled on see-through gloves.

"I'm so proud of you, my lady," Pipi burst out, curtsying to her.

"You're so silly," Lia said with a giggle.

After a few sprays of perfume, she headed out of the room completely prepared.