CHAPTER 127

Claude seethed as he left the nunnery without Camellia.

Why does everyone and everything require the grand duchess's attention? At this point, there has to be a problem with the system.

"Lord Sergio is with Lady Jessica right now, my lord," Caruso reported as he joined Claude going up the main staircase.

"What? Where?"

"In her room."

"And you let them be?"

"Lady Jessica said it was all right, my lord."

"Why would you trust the word of a child?!"

"Because... it's Lady Jessica, my lord," Caruso replied as he took the grand duke's coat.

Claude strode down the main hallway as he swept back his hair. He'd noticed the young fool running out of the car toward Lia at the nunnery while he was waiting for her.

If he hadn't recognized him, Claude would have punched him then and there.

He had taken a deep breath as he reminded himself that the Dunhills were his future business partners and that it wouldn't be wise to start off on the wrong foot.

He'd walked through the main gates of the nunnery but almost lost his temper when he saw the fur coat in Lia's hands; Alexander had looked ready to kneel in front of Lia and profess his love.

The maid noticed Claude approaching Jessica's door and stepped back in surprise. Claude could hear lan's smooth voice carry through the slightly ajar door.

"Gaior offers top-quality education. You can do anything you want; it doesn't matter whether you're a noble or a commoner. Women can also attend university and attain titles if they so choose."

Is he tempting her?

Claude almost broke the door as he burst through. Jessica looked up from where she was sitting-close enough to lan that their foreheads were touching—and ran toward her father, eyes sparkling.

"Father!"

He scooped her up mid-curtsy. "What did that man say to you?"

"My godfather?"

Claude hummed. "Sure. What did your so-called godfather say to tempt you?"

"Well... He wants to invite me to Gaior."

"Is that right?" Claude's eyes took on a dangerous gleam. "Go have some sweets before your mother comes home, sweetie."

Claude put her down and walked over to lan, squeezing his large body onto the child-sized sofa.

The maids resolutely ignored the bizarre sight of two grown men on the small seats as they guided Jessica outside. "My lady, we have chocolate pudding ready for you today."

Jessica's eyes widened, and she dashed out of the room.

Claude raised his chin, glaring at Ian. "Kidnapper."

"Whoa, hey. Watch it."

"You dare try to kidnap Jessica to Gaior?"

"Be honest for once. The education in Gaior is leagues ahead of Cayen in all aspects. That's just fact. If Jessica learns there, she'll become as exceptionally intelligent as Lady Ihar."

"Camellia finished her education here."

"Yes, yes," Ian said, rolling his eyes. "Hey, overprotective father. Yes, you. Jessica isn't Camellia, so cut it out."

"Like you're not being overprotective yourself. It seems just yesterday you were enthralled with Cahrem. Why the sudden change?"

"I told you. There's too much competition with Cahrem."