CHAPTER 29

'I feel like I've been hit on the head.'

Stupefied for so long with a puzzled look, she then smiles and shook her head.

"Are you really that crazy? I'm a man."

"No, you're a woman. It'll be nice to have the engagement around next year. After my official debut, go back to being Canillia Vale."

"Prince Ian!"

Lia stood up and screamed. Her cheeks are red when she's getting angry. She doesn't even know if she's angry or ashamed, but she's red.

Lia couldn't understand a word from Ian Sergio.

"Why? Do you have someone in mind? Oh.. No way. Is it the young Duke, Claude del Ihar?"

He scoffed and swept his wet hair. On the other hand, Lia was stunned and unable to say a word.

"Canillia, it'll be in a year. Think about it carefully for a long time. I'm the only one who can save you from that witch-like wife of the Marquis."

"I don't want to."

She answered as soon as she regained her composure. Ian then shook his head as if he knew that this would happen.

With his hands clasped at the back of his head, he lies down on the sofa.

"That rejection is way too fast. I said I'd give you time to think, Canillia. You're not normal right now."

"Prince Ian isn't normal either. We've only met for like three times. What do you mean propose? And I... I don't want to get married."

"Then there's no other choice but to hold a funeral."

Lia stopped walking and turned to him. She felt her body tense, but her heart begins to beat faster.

"Don't tell me... Did you overhear that?"

Ian raises his closed eyes at Lia's cold tone.

"The elegant Marchioness really needs to lower her voice. Am I the only one who heard it? A funeral for a living person? The idea was horrible, it really suits the Marquis' wife."

She felt a pang of cold in her chest due to the harsh words. But she can't let it go. She doesn't want to be a victim of a political play, of being diplomatic or friendly.

Not only that she's not a real noble, but she's also someone that must disappear someday. If possible, she would disappear without even leaving a trace.

"I still don't like it though. This is weird, right? This marriage or engagement."

"There's nothing weird about it. Because I'm just falling for you. So we can just slowly get to know each other for a year. I'll listen to your answer by then."

Ian's gaze stayed in the candy bottle that she's hugging. He wonders if he was glaring and displeased, but he raised a corner of her lips as if he really is.

"Let me tell you in advance, Kieran will arrive in 10 days. So please take care of me for the time being, Canillia. Don't think about kicking me out of the townhouse."

***

10 days?

What Ian said made her dizzy all night.

After arriving to the capital, she had never slept properly for even a single day. Lia was feeling exhausted throughout her body.

'No wonder Betty said I need to be careful.'

She prepared to go to the academy by giving strength to her eyes that couldn't open wide that well. Today is the allotted day for her to decide on which grade she'll be admitted.