15: He will always feel resentful towards his father

Edited by Relendria

Early in the morning they washed their faces, ate breakfast, then went up the hills to the forest.

They carried sacks for their harvest. Liang Meng Yao set a few rabbit and chicken traps here and there and told Hong Jia Yi to be careful not trip them. Even though they wouldn't hurt a human, it would be troublesome because it would mean one less animal caught.

Liang Meng Yao looked around as Hong Jia Yi picked berries and potatoes. Liang Meng Yao picked the wild vegetables as well. As he went further in the woods, he found lemons and peppers.

Liang Meng Yao grinned joyfully. Didn't lady luck love him? Too bad - so sad, because he wasn't interested in women.

Liang Meng Yao started picking them suddenly there was a rustling sound from the area where Hong Jia Yi harvested.

"Got one!"

Liang Meng Yao looked back to see Hong Jia Yi removing a pheasant from a trap. He put it in the sack then tied the bag. There was room in the sack for a few more animals so he went back berry picking while waiting for another catch.

When they returned that evening, they had a good haul. They had captured three pheasants and two rabbits and harvested plenty of berries and wild vegetables in addition to the lemons and peppers Liang Meng Yao had discovered.

Liang Meng Yao tied two sacks together and put them over his shoulder while Hong Jia Yi carried the bag with their prey and the berries on his back.

After they returned home they unpacked their things.

"Hmm, we need water," Hong Jia Yi noted.

"Then let's go get some. We can fill all of our water jugs before starting dinner. We still have tomorrow to process the jam before we need to deliver the next batch to the restaurant," he suggested.

"Okay."

They both took up two big jugs and headed down to the river. When the village she-men saw Hong Jia Yi, they whispered and snickered amongst themselves.

The gossip of him forcing a foreigner to marry him had spread. The rumors had all been twisted in different ways but every single one was meant to mock Hong Jia Yi more. When they saw Liang Meng Yao their speculation became more brutal, picturing him as a victim and Hong Jia Yi as a villain.

The two men ignored the gossiping she-men and filled their jugs in the river, making three trips before they were done collecting water. When they settled at home took their baths and Hong Jia Yi cooked dinner. They both enjoyed the meal as they relaxed after a good day's work.

During the night Hong Jia Yi took the initiative to hug Liang Meng Yao, which surprised him. Usually there was a small boundary between them even though the bed was small. Neither would cross it and both slept separately, so why was Hong Jia Yi hugging all of a sudden? Was he hinting at something?

Liang Meng Yao had never been in a relationship before so right now he was blushing after having direct skin contact with Hong Jia Yi. On the other hand, Hong Jia Yi was happy that his hand hadn't been rejected. It felt so good to be touching Liang Meng Yao. He leaned against Liang Meng Yao's back and tightened his hand was around the other man's waist.

Liang Meng Yao heart was beating fast and he was blushing. He took a fortifying breath and then turned to face Hong Jia Yi.

Hong Jia Yi was surprised when Liang Meng Yao suddenly turned. Worried that he had made Liang Meng Yao uncomfortable, Hong Jia Yi was about to remove his hand when Liang Meng Yao hugged him back. Hong Jia Yi relaxed his hand once more on Liang Meng Yao and they both stayed still in each other's embrace, not saying a word.

Fa Enlai, who had just finished eating a jam sandwich with his father, felt happy and bitter at the same time. He was happy to eat such a delicious treat and he felt resentful towards his father.

"To think that foreign boy could make such a delicious thing! Enlai'er go get more when this is finished," the village doctor ordered his son arrogantly.

Fa Enlai stood up abruptly, angered by his father's unabashed greed.

"For a man your age, aren't you shameless?! You kicked him and out forced him to marry that she-man and now you want to leech off him?! Do you not feel any shame?" Fa Enlai burst out furiously.

The doctor looked at Enlai and just simply ate the jam. It was truly sweet and delicious! He decided to go get some himself since his son was being overly emotional.

"You have to spend a day with the village chief son tomorrow," he said, ignoring Fa Enlai's outburst.

Fa Enlai got even more upset. He didn't want spend time with that arrogant, shameless jerk! He wanted to spend time with Liang Meng Yao - but no, he can't do that, can he? His resentment towards his father grew. He would hold on to this grudge for a long time.