18: Wen Shen was one of the few people

Edited by Relendria

Liang Meng Yao was now finally finished making his coop for the chickens. He fixed a nest inside, added the chickens, and then he fed them.

Hong Jia Yi had gone to fetch water by the river even though Liang Meng Yao wanted to do that heavy job. Hong Jia Yi refused to let him take over and went on his own. Liang Meng Yao need to make more of the jam soon but he had already made ten jars this morning and was now planning different of ways to get money the money he needed for his plans.

"Liang Meng Yao!"

An unfamiliar voice snapped Liang Meng Yao out his thoughts and he finally got off his bum and went around to the front.

"Do you need something?" he asked the unfamiliar man.

Liang Meng Yao sighed in relief that it was a manly man and not a she-man.

"Ah, hello, Liang Meng Yao! I'm Wen Shen I'm here to simply get to know you," the stranger said, introducing himself.

Liang Meng Yao observed him closely. The poor lad could feel an intense pressure from the way his eyes were looking at him.

"Okay, come on in. I could use some help with something," Liang Meng Yao said.

Wen Shen smiled and followed Liang Meng Yao around to the back to see what looked like the makings of a carriage.

"Ah, brother Liang, who knew you were so crafty with your hands? No wonder the she-men all seem to like you," Wen Shen said.

"I'm not interested. I'm already married," Liang Meng Yao said bluntly, making his indifference clear.

"I know," Wen Shen hastily assured him. "Aiya!"

"So, Liang Meng Yao, could you tell me if there are any good jobs in town?" Wen Shen finally asked with a nervous smile.

"Do you want a job in the town?"

"Well, I need to make some money. My wife is expecting our second child and money will be needed. We have a lot of mouths to feed but we have little income," he explained sadly.

Honestly speaking, Liang Meng Yao didn't feel an ounce of pity at first but the dude's situation is a bit tight by the having his second child so young. Wen Shen looked about the same age as him!

"Question - how old are you?" Liang Meng Yao asked slowly, wondering if they really were the same age. Maybe these people just aged slowly?

"Hmm, me? I'm eighteen. I'll be nineteen in a few days."

And he is expecting a second child?!? It seemed too soon but maybe that's this world's customs.

"Hmm, you said you have many mouths to feed... Do you know of anyone else that can handle some hard work?" he asked.

"Yes, my older brother is also looking for a job."

"Then how about I employ you both? You should know that I don't tolerate laziness. If you're lazy, I will fire you immediately," Liang Meng Yao said sternly.

"Yes, I understand," Wen Shen agreed.

Liang Meng Yao suddenly realized that Hong Jia Yi is taking a long time to collect water. It takes a while to go from here to the river but it shouldn't take this long.

As if on cue, Hong Jia Yi came around the house, drenched. Liang Meng Yao frowned and went to him.

"What happened?!" he demanded unhappily.

He helped Hong Jia Yi place the jug on the ground.

"Brother Liang, don't be surprised - this is normal," Wen Shen said sadly.

"Wen Shen," Hong Jia Yi greeted the other man.

"Ah, hello, Hong Jia Yi," he responded.

"How are your wife and Wen Qing?" Hong Jia Yi asked him.

"Ah, he is fine, he is fine - you worry too much!"

Wen Shen was one of the few people who were actually nice and helped Hong Jia Yi so their relationship was naturally friendly. Hong Jia Yi, being the caring person he, is would naturally want to help Wen Shen and his family.

"Um, hubby," Hong Jia Yi began.

Liang Meng Yao was happy to be called that but wondered why Hong Jia Yi only called him such in front of others. He wouldn't mind if he were addressed as "hubby" all of the time!

"Jiajia," he replied warmly.

Hong Jia Yi paused, trying his best to stop the blush creeping up his cheek. Liang Meng Yao pressed his lips together in an attempt to hold back a laugh and the urge to tease his wife more.

"Well, I see that your marriage is good," Wen Shen noted with clear relief. "I must be on my way. I'll come tomorrow."

"Wait!" Hong Jia Yi stopped him before he could leave. "Can I?" He asked Liang Meng Yao hopefully.

"Go on ahead," Liang Meng Yao said.

Hong Jia Yi went inside then came out with a jar of jam and three parcels of rice. He knew that Wen Shen's situation wasn't good and he is in desperate need for his family.