82: Unexpected Turned Of Events

Xiao Si watched nervously from the sidelines. Although his impassive face showed no hint of his anxiety, his tightly fisted hands would have if they weren’t hidden in his sleeves.

Feng Chong Lin grinned widely as the bowl was brought before Meng Yao. He knew his obvious delight was worrying both the Emperor and Xiao Si. They both feared he had figured out a way to sabotage the results. He, on the other hand, had no intention of interfering with the test or the subsequent promotion of Meng Yao as imperial progeny. He was delighted to see Meng Yao elevated as official imperial offspring because the higher he rose, the more devastating his fall would be. He practically rubbed his hands together with glee as he envisioned breaking the spirit of that arrogant young fox.
Feng Huan, on the other hand, was genuinely happy that his brother was about to finally be acknowledged as Daddy’s son and his own brother. His only regret at the moment was that his brother-in-law could not be here. Feng Huan even had a gift prepared for his brother to congratulate him after the test was completed.

(A/N: aw I wish half my siblings were sweet as you)

Meng Yao watched as two men walked over, one carrying bowl carved from green jade.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

"Lord Meng Yao, this test only requires two drops of your blood. If you are truly a royal child, the water within this bowl will turn blue. If the water does not change color your lie will be revealed and your life forfeited,” the eunuch explained. His tone was neither warm nor cold, demonstrating his impartiality.

Meng Yao was surprised that this wasn't the blood test of blood affinity that he knew of. This test was completely new to him and he had no idea if the measures he had taken to pass the test would work now. His heart quailed as he realized that if he failed this test he could only return to his Jia Yi as a ghost.

Meng Yao did not show his inner turmoil and simply nodded to show he understood. He couldn’t help thinking that it was deeply unfair that if the test failed he would be killed thanks to his Daddy’s claims.
Keeping his frustration to himself, Meng Yao turned to the other servant who held out a small dagger which rested on a bright, red cushion. The dagger was smaller than his palm but the tip of the blade was pointed and looked razor sharp. The handle was a black metal that had been decorated gold to form a dragon pattern. It was beautiful enough to make one almost forget its purpose.

Meng Yao picked up the dagger, held his index finger over the bowl, and lightly pierced his finger with the tip of the dagger. As soon as two drops of his blood fell into the bowl of water, he pulled back his finger. An imperial physician stepped forward immediately to disinfect the wound but no bandage was necessary as the bleeding stopped almost instantly.

All eyes were glued on the bowl of water. Meng Yao’s heart skipped a beat as the blood slowly diffused in the water and the water started to clear up. Did this mean he was going to die after all? Was there a different Meng Yao? Was he not really Xiao Si and Liang Huan’s child?

He fought to keep his expression impassive as his thoughts grew wilder.
He should have known that this test would be nothing but bullcrap! He trusted the Emperor and Xiao Si but now he was going to die – to die after he had found his wonderful wife and before he could even see their unborn child!

Will his child grow up without a father? Will Jia Yi forget about him and remarry? If he remarries, will the new father be good to his son? A flood of regret and worry filled the mind and heart of Meng Yao in an instant but just as he was going over suicidal plans to escape the room, the water began to change color.
The change was slow. First the spot where his blood had dropped showed a circle of dark blue that began to fill the bowl but before it even reached the edge of the bowl, the color was darkening until the bowl was filled with a deep purple hue. Meng Yao’s brows rose in surprise and confusion and he looked over at his daddy in that moment. What did this color mean?

The crown prince, who had watched the entire show without emotion, now showed a faint shock. Meng Yao frowned slightly as he wondered whether this meant he passed or failed the test.

The people watching began to murmur to each other as those in the front shared the results to others standing farther way. Meng Yao could hear their surprise and excitement but he still didn’t know if this development was good for him or not. He could tell that even General Chong Lin was surprised although Feng Huan merely watched silently. Meng Yao was confused and frustrated and wanted nothing more than to hold his Jiajia at that moment. All the stress was getting to him.

"What's happening?" Meng Yao asked the man in charge of the test.

"The water is purple," he replied. Meng Yao resisted the urge to shake the man.

"And that means – what, exactly?" Meng Yao asked impatiently.

"It means your blood is pure; that your ancestry is strong. You are not only royal on your daddy's side but on your father's side as well.”
Meng Yao blinked slowly and resisted the urge to smile.

Edited by Relendria